1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dickey Betts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Apr 18, 2024.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I never lived there but I've been through there. Cornelia, Commerce, Athens, Madison, Eatonton, Milledgeville, Dublin, McRae, Douglas, Pearson, Homerville and Fargo north to south on 441. And you'd better have SiriusXM or Spotify, because even the radio stations are few and far between.

Little towns with little brick houses, little rundown downtowns and maybe a McDonald's or Hardee's. Like you've gone back to 1960.

Although there's a certain charm about Douglas. If it wasn't for the oppressive summer heat, maybe a nice place to disappear from the world.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think it was Lumber City (in Telfair County on US 23) where I heard Melissa and had the song and place connection seared into my head. Not my first time hearing the song, but it just fit the late Sunday afternoon mood so perfectly in that melancholy little slice of America.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I have one of his solo albums somewhere. "Highway Song" is a nice tune.

"Blue Sky" and "Jessica" are epic songs. Saw the ABB in Richmond in 1973. Good show.

misterbc and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

'In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" is a tour de force.

misterbc, FileNotFound and dixiehack like this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I've been to Commerce a dozen times for NHRA events. I never had any problems there.
    I did get off the interstate in Macon once for the express purpose of visiting Duane's grave. I got right back on the interstate and kept heading north.

6. Driftwood

Although more associated with Macon, Ga., the Allman Brothers Band really originated out of Florida as did Skynyrd, Outlaws, and Molly Hatchet. Combine them with people like Tom Petty, John Anderson, Jimmy Buffett, and the music scene in Florida in the 70s was off that chart.

7. Driftwood

I've seen the Mount Rushmore of Southern Rock in some very odd places.
    Allman Brothers - World's Fair Park, Knoxville
    Skynyrd - high school football stadium, Kingsport
    Molly Hatchet - Kingsport VFW
    Outlaws - Harley dealership, Maryville
    Marshall Tucker - bbq/beer festival, Kingsport

Throw in Charlie Daniels - fairgrounds, Knoxville

Huggy, Captain_Kirk, garrow and 2 others like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

All of my daddy's people were from down there. Macon, Lyons, Vidalia, Hamilton/Pine Mountain, that neck of the woods.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Was fortunate to see Betts, Levell and Derek Trucks play a show back probably late 80s or early 90s. Susan Tedeshi was with them. Great show.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The closest I got to seeing the classic ABB was at the Georgia Jam in June of '74. Grinderswitch, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker, and the ABB at Atlanta Stadium. Halfway through Marshall Tucker,t he heavens opened and it rained hard. We hung in, wet and steaming and uncomfortable, waiting for the Brothers. Problem was that they got so wasted backstage waiting to go on that when they finally did they were trashed. I watched two roadies each take one of Gregg's elbows and carry him up the stairs and plop him on his organ stool. It was a terrible show. It was the best Skynyrd show I ever saw, though.

They put it out later that someone had spiked the punch or something backstage, but damn few people bought that. They just sat around waiting too long and got bored, and "Oh well."

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Anybody familiar with The Big House in Macon, Ga.?
    My brother spent some time in the South and mentioned this place on a FB thread about Betts and the Allman Bros.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Statesboro Blues. End of story.

Draft saved Draft deleted