1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Don Imus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 27, 2019.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’m wondering if 65-year-old Howard Stern whenever he’s on next (since he does like 100 shows a year) does the same amount of grave-dancing that a younger Stern would have.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Would Imus have been as popular if he wasn't such an a-hole? Never understood where the bitterness came from - grew up wealthy which allowed him to take some chances without starving and like a lot of DJs was a failed musician - and yet....I just don't see where the well of unhappiness in his life sprung from.

gingerbread likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

May 1986.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If Imus was as big an asshole as it seems from this thread, how did he not get his ass just fucking beat on the regular?

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I always thought Lou Rufino was quirky funny and under-utilized. But, I suppose he was playing his role.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Grew up wealthy? Not from what I've read.

8. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Janice and I were drinking pals when she worked for Imus. She had just started dating one of my dear friends - they’re now married with kids.
    Anyway, her stories about how Imus treated her grew more alarming by the week. She’d arrive to work at 4 am and would be mocked constantly about her weight, her looks, her Canadian background.
    It wasn’t in good fun. She’s tough, she can take teasing. Her stories about him were horrific. The gun episode especially so.
    This was shortly after 9/11 and she thought, understandably, she had no right to complain considering Sean, her boyfriend, spent his hours digging for body parts.
    When the “nappy headed hos” happened, I wanted to write about Imus’ treatment of her and other women in the workplace but she wouldn’t go on record, and I had to abide by her wishes.
    I’m glad she’s put at least some of it on the record now.
    Imus was complicated and a genius and funny, definitely, but he also went out of his way to hurt people and tried to ruin their lives, just because it gave him pleasure.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Wikipedia says the family was wealthy and ran a 35,000 acre ranch.

Don Imus - Wikipedia

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I follow Janice on Instagram
    She seems like a wonderful person

Liut likes this.
  11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Well, we know what Wikipedia is worth. The book I read about Imus, though he didn't participate, indicated middle class, at best, and a less than desirable upbringing.

12. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

She is. She’s a survivor, dealing with MS with no complaints.
    I’m fascinated by how she had to change her looks to fit in with FOX, but she’s been there forever, is really talented, seems to have fun and makes a good living.
    The Murdochs value loyalty. I know that from experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted