1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dwayne Haskins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 9, 2022.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And I'll suggest that you're looking too hard for something to be offended about. But, hey, there's a lot of that going around.

2. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Trust me, it takes a lot to offend me. If Schefter wanted to include something about his football career in the tweet, how about "a finalist for the Heisman Trophy in 2018"? And if it was so inoffensive, why did he delete the original and re-write it?

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Like I said ... there's a lot of that going around ...

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The first reference would be about his job no matter what because it is the main identifier of the subject.

“Former Ohio State and current Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Dwayne Haskins died earlier this morning …”

Still has job as first reference, albeit, without the commentary on his performance.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Dwayne Haskins, NFL QB whose teams wilted in the postseason

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

While disappointment/struggle is probably the first thing associated with Haskins, you need to think for 10 seconds before you tweet. I guess in the world of Schefter, taking those 10 seconds means that you might not be first.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Kobe Bryant, who was never as good as Michael Jordan, died tragically today in a helicopter crash.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

“Former pro football team owner Donald Trump died today …”

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Schefter should know better. Gil Brandt’s remarks shouldn’t surprise too many. Knows football, but a little callous and a lot tone-deaf.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Mike Krzyzewski, whose Duke coaching career began and ended with losses to archrival North Carolina…

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Michael Jordan, who failed to make the playoffs in two seasons with the Washington Wizards …

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The New York Times headlined this guy's obituary, 62 years after it happened:

"Fred Snodgrass, 86, Dead; Ball Player Muffed 1912 Fly"

Draft saved Draft deleted