1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Fernando Valenzuela

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 22, 2024 at 11:36 PM.

1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

MTM, ChrisLong, FileNotFound and 3 others like this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Either of those were magical when they had an American League game and you were living in an NL city, or vice versa.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hated the Dodgers. Still hate the Dodgers. Liked Fernando.

MileHigh likes this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It was also magical when they played the All-Star Game. Yes, it was nice to see Wade Boggs or Don Mattingly, but it was also cool to see guys in lesser known markets like Mark Langston, Teddy Higuera or whatever Texas Ranger made it.

maumann, playthrough and jr/shotglass like this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

6. playthrough

The intros and the uniforms were so cool, which made it so outrageous in recent years when the ASG had those hideous NL/AL unis. Glad that's fixed.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Manfred was on Dan Patrick this morning and said the reason they stuck with those uniforms is that they sold a lot of them, even with all the blowback they got.

8. playthrough

That's Manfred in a nutshell right there.

garrow, UNCGrad, matt_garth and 6 others like this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Incredibly sad way to check the site this morning. Fernando Valenzuela was the No. 1 reason to follow the Dodgers in 1981, propelling an aging team into the World Series. As with Mark Fidrych in 1976, L.A. -- and the rest of the country -- was infected with Fernandomania five years later. Even the stupid mid-season strike couldn't extinguish the fire that he brought to that season.

Like the Bird, gone too soon. Unlike the Bird, he pitched an entire career and was a workhorse for the Dodgers for the rest of the decade before Father Time caught up with him.

A lot of folks forget he was no slouch at the plate. He hit .200 with 10 homers in over 1,000 career PAs.

But man, the memories of 1981 will last forever. RIP, El Toro.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2024 at 12:35 PM
    MileHigh and Liut like this.
  10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Wow. This is going to mess me up for awhile.

maumann and MileHigh like this.
  11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

The All-Star Game used to look like a medieval village - bursts of color everywhere.

The sub-mediocrity of those uniforms is perfect for Manfred's MLB.

12. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

I loved it when I was young. I love it even more now that I'm older.

There was no way This Week In Baseball was going to miss paying tribute to Fernando Valenzuela in their closing credits.

"Gathering Crowds" is the name of the song. Even though it's just program music, it brings goosebumps every time I hear it. Fernando richly deserves to be part of that legacy.

Someone ought to compile a list of all of the players who were paid tribute in TWIB's closing credits to that song. It really is a great way to remember many of the greats and some of the not-so-greats too.

(This version from 1982: Pete Rose, Tom Brookens?, Dave Winfield, Rollie Fingers and Ted Simmons, Nolan Ryan, Fernando Valenzuela, Richie Zisk, Cesar Geronimo as a Royal and Steve Rogers!)

It also drives home the point of what we've lost with starting pitching no longer being emphasized to the same degree it was then.

garrow, Huggy, I Should Coco and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted