1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Fernando Valenzuela

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 22, 2024 at 11:36 PM.

1. El Guapo

El Guapo New Member

"If you have a sombrero, throw it to the sky!"

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure what they do Friday will be very well done.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So great how Scully time-stamped that call. Did it with Koufax's perfect game too.

MileHigh likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The absolute best.

matt_garth, maumann and playthrough like this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And "Jet Set" was the name of the opening theme. Play just the first couple of beats for anyone of our generation and they've got it.

In my mind, TWIB is forever on the Jumbotron at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, my Dad and I going early to the Braves game for BP.

garrow, da man, UNCGrad and 3 others like this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Didn't Dave Stewart or somebody also pitch a no-hitter the same day as Fernando did?

Monday Night Baseball was great. Fidrych vs. the Yankees in June of 1976 and also Duane Kuiper's only career home run against the White Sox in 1977.

maumann likes this.
  7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I wasn't yet really into baseball at the height of Fernandomania (I was 6 and really got the baseball bug around 10-11). But if you were into sports at all, you KNEW about it. Even if the olden days of 1981.

What a phenomenon and a great player/character who broke through to the non-sports culture. It was fun learning more about him as I really got into following MLB.

The Ken Burns doc (not sure if it was in the original or the "10th Inning" add-on) had a good segment on him as well.

maumann likes this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Stewart pitched one that day and legend has it that Fernando told his teammates that they saw no-hitter on TV and now they were going to see one in person.

micropolitan guy and maumann like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That has to be the only time no-hitters were thrown on the same day by pitchers wearing the same number, yes?

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

And I think Nolan Ryan was wearing 34 at that point in Houston, so on the right day it could’ve been three given Ryan’s propensity for no-hitting teams.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Ryan threw his seventh no-hitter the same night Rickey Henderson broke Brock's stolen base record.

garrow and Hermes like this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Fernandomania was still going strong in 1991. (I was one of the people on the warning track for this game.)

garrow, Liut and matt_garth like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted