1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jack Layton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HC, Aug 22, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

She'd be an impossible sell.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I would love to see Senator Larry Campbell get involved, I though he did a great job as the mayor of Vancouver. Although who the hell is going to give up being a senator to delve back into grind of everyday politics.

For anyone who has watched Davincis Inquest that is who Dominic Davinci is based on.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, tough to argue that. Very similar to the Republicans looking for someone to challenge Obama, the next great Liberal - or NDP - leader is out there somewhere, but who knows how long it will take before that person emerges.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What started off as some impromptu messages written in chalk on a ramp at Nathan Phillips Square (Toronto City Hall) has spread to hundreds thousands of messages on the concrete plaza

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lewolf011/6076393292/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Unfortunately the rain will wash most of them way.

Jack is lying in state in the rotunda of the House of Commonsin Ottawa. A state funeral will be in Toronto on Saturday

The Globe's TV critic John Doyle wrote one of the more thoughtful columns on Jack's broad appeal

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/television/john-doyle/jack-layton-the-man-was-the-message/article2137754/

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

And gave some of those assholes an avenue to post their insensitive comments about Layton.

Congratulations, Blatchford, for turning your column into your own little parade. Stupid chick.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why does The Globe and Mail refer to Olivia Chow as Layton's partner, while the CBC refers to her as his wife. Is it some weird form of political correctness with the paper?

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Good question. They were married, I know. The woman who sang "Rise Up" at the funeral sang at their wedding as well.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I missed this thread the first time through. I did not see Jack's appeal, thought he was an immense phony however at the end of the day you can't argue with success.

FWIW I agree with Blatchford's comments. The letter to Canadians was politics so I have no problem with someone treating it as such.

Dying now was the best thing that could have happened for Jack and the NDP. I have my doubts that they could replicate their success and now Jack gets canonized without having to actually be an effective Leader of the Opposition.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What a fucked up moronic statement. Dying is the best thing that could have happened to Layton?

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Phrased poorly on my part. In terms of legacy, yes, it is the best thing.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're a classless douche.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Spot on!

Draft saved Draft deleted