1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jimmy Buffett

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Sep 2, 2023.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine someone will put out a "Daily Buffett" thing, those Songs You Don't Know By Heart are great.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I've read almost everything about Buffett that I could ever find and never saw that reference before. He doesn't need a nickname. Jimmy is just fine.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

He called himself that. He referenced in more than one song, Christmas in the Caribbean is the first that comes to mind.

It's well known enough that if you go back to Page 1 of this thread that my first post said RIP Bubba.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Crossthreadjack alert. But Jimmy Buffett ain't no anti-hero, Pawwwwllll!

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Don Henley had a nice Buffett tribute Thursday night when The Eagles opened their tour at Madison Square Garden. Then they did Come Monday and Fins, with Schmidt and Walsh handling the vocals.

Schmidt was in the Coral Reefer Band for a while, which I didn’t know.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He invented the term “parrotheads” one night in Cincinnati, too.

7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

i mean what an absolute shithole
    [​IMG]

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

His family called him Bubba. Here’s Lulu’s column about him.

Many wonder the same: What's a world without Jimmy?

Also, in “Gypsies in the Palace” there’s a line about “party just like Bubba does.” That line was a reference to Jimmy, since the song is a mostly true story about his house sitter in Aspen.

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  9. Driftwood

Jane released a pretty lengthy statement overnight. Mostly it's thanking everyone and is pretty nice.

I also saw a release yesterday from Margaritaville saying it hadn't released any tribute merch, and anything of that sort was counterfeit. Heck, the day he died people were posting t-shirts for sale trying to make a buck off a dead man before the body was cold.

10. Driftwood

IMG_2915.jpg I randomly came across this in a box in drawer in a cabinet in my out building this morning. I wasn't looking for it at all, but it just turned up.

HanSenSE and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

$25 - those were the days.

12. Driftwood

I did the inflation adjustment, and it would be $51.57 today. That was probably a day's work for me then.
    I haven't been to a major concert in years, but I'd say $50 wouldn't get you in the door.

Draft saved Draft deleted