1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jimmy Buffett

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Sep 2, 2023.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My wife and I went to the one in Key West five years ago. It was enjoyable and the food was not cold.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We went a few years back. It was a billion degrees, but it was paradise. I'll give 'em that.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The one in Key West was the best I’ve visited. NOLA was second.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I've only seen bits come out about it yet. I guess more will be written today. Hopefully there will be some solid video posted sometime today as well.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Reading that recap did nothing to change my mind about skipping that event. I hope the Coral Reefers and assorted roadies and tour personnel made a nice payday from it.

7. DanOregon

Couple of questions - who is the guy on the left with the guitar? Is that a member of the Coral Reefer band? And secondly, OK Buffett "passed the torch" to Zach Brown and his band - but what does that mean? Parrothead now have to go to their concerts? I have no idea.
    [​IMG]

8. Driftwood

Jimmy's ghost? AI Jimmy?
    I saw that picture the other day and thought the same thing.
    I am a big ZBB fan, but his music is not Buffett's. Even the songs with Buffett are completely different.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I really can't, and don't want to, listen to Jimmy Buffett songs sung by anyone than Jimmy Buffett.

Gave it a shot a few times. But it's just not the same without Jimmy. ... YMMV, of course.

10. Driftwood

Mac does a good job because he was already on them and help write several.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I think the guy with the guitar is Peter Frampton.

12. DanOregon

When Skynyrd reformed in the '80s with Johnny Van Zandt they'd always do "Freebird" with the just a spotlight on an empty mike stand and the crowd would sing. It was effective - but I don't know if you could do a whole show like that with the CRB. And honestly, it wasn't the music or even the songs that made the concerts fun - it was Buffett. His voice was never great - but he was always like that favorite uncle you'd see once a year and catching up with - the interludes and banter were the best part.

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted