1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Prince

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Prince and Bob Dylan remind me of one another quite a bit, in that they both have crafted slippery, private, mysterious personas, simply by managing to stay away from the tabloid spotlight. In fact, because of that, people often have lost sight that, first and foremost, they are both defined by and driven by their love of music, which is quite real.

HC likes this.
  2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I imagine Morris Day is down to about 17 more hours of phone calls from reporters asking for reaction.

I Should Coco and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Incorrect.

OK. Back to Prince.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Prince, under an alias, wrote a song for Kenny Rogers. Who knew?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hope it wasn't Islands in the Stream.

HanSenSE, dixiehack and poindexter like this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

SiriusXM channel 50 is all Prince right now.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I had forgotten until last night that I have Prince's 3-CD set "The Hits/The B-Sides." A pretty great compilation I'll have to dig out.

8. Dick Whitman

I think he's definitely one of those artists whose best work is some of his lesser known stuff.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Beck is another who comes to mind. I've been listening to him avidly in advance of JazzFest next weekend in New Orleans, and I'm blown away by the amount of terrific stuff he has that's never in rotation on the airwaves. Some of it is pretty low energy and arguably depressing, but still damn good.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I didn't know until now that Prince wrote the Bangles "Manic Monday". Shitty way to find out though.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think I'll put on some low-energy, depressing Beck jams this afternoon. Thanks, Boogie!

One thing about Prince -- the 80s were an awful time for pop, rock, R&B, country, whatever.

Lot of disco backlash. Many popular bands did not have music that actually made you want to dance.

Prince was one of the few who put out popular stuff at the time that made you want to get up and move.

Draft saved Draft deleted