1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP to one of our own, one of our best -- Craig Stanke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 29, 2012.

1. Never knew him, but interacted with him on the journo and sports board. He was a Voice that will be sorely missed here.

R.I.P. ain't enough.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I was honored to have known Craig for almost 30 years. He hired me--twice--and made me a much better journalist both times. And if you haven't hung out in a bar with Craig after a late shift, you missed one of the best parts of being in this business.

Craig was a good friend and boss and a great newsman. R.I.P., buddy.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Never knew him outside of here, but seemed like a pretty good guy.

I remember he had some fun with people when they were trying to guess what the SF was in his name.

RIP

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Will share part of this note that went to CBS staff because it answers some questions, not comfortable sharing the rest (not for any confidences broken, etc., just not my place)

Our condolences and prayers go out to his children, Allison and Eric,
    their mother, Ellen, his sister, Chrissy, and her family back in
    Wisconsin, and his girlfriend, Amy. It was Amy who called us with the
    news of his death this morning.

Craig died in his sleep after a Memorial Day spent running a 5K in the
    morning, working in the office until late afternoon, driving up to
    Wellington where he chatted up his girlfriend, Amy, about finishing
    second in his age group in the race earlier in the day, and talking of
    an ironman race of some sort this October. He felt great, she said.
    But, to the shock, sadness and devastation of those who knew him and
    worked with him, he never woke up.

5. One of the good guys, was there for me back in the old days. RIP.

--Pas

6. joe

joe Active Member

Knew the handle, not the man. When I saw this thread, I checked out his last posts. Shit, I just read most of those today.

56. The same age as my dad, who died nearly 12 years ago. Too fucking young.

Joe

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Feel like we could all go through his posts and find dozens that we'd want to put here that would sum up the type of journalist he was. It'd be impossible to cut it down to just a handful, although IJAG's would be one of the best. And then there was his trip to the Neville concert. Damn it, damn it.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I enjoyed all of SF's posts. Never met him and never knew who he really was, and didn't even know Craig Stanke. But SF was great to read on the board because he had the experience but was open to the new forms of journalism. It seemed to me that he avoided cynicism and enjoyed doing what he did even through all the changes in this industry. I'll miss him even though I never really knew him.

RIP and my condolences to all his friends and family.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Never knew him outside of Jeers. But when he talked shop, he was worth listening to every single time. When he didn't, he was still worth listening to every single time. May Bucky finally get off the pot and win a Rose Bowl in his honor.

South Fargo will never be the same. Damnit.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

How inexpressibly awful and sad. He was one of the most informative and entertaining persons I have encountered through this board. I'm very glad to have made his acquaintance even though we never met.
    To those who really did know Craig, my deepest condolences.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Horrible news. Talked with him only here, on twitter and email over a handful of freelance assignments over the years.

This is a huge surprise. He was in tremendous health and ran a 22-minute 5K just yesterday.

Sad to see Craig go. :(

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I never got to meet Craig in person, but we talked on the phone a couple of times and exchanged emails and PMs here. When I was freelancing between full-time jobs, I got in touch with a feature pitch. It didn't fit with Craig's department, but he went out of his way to get me in touch with the right people and find a place for it at CBS.

After that he told me he didn't have much of a budget for freelance stuff, but if I kept pitching he'd do what he could for me. He was truly one of the most helpful, encouraging people I've come across in this business.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted