1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP to one of our own, one of our best -- Craig Stanke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 29, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Before going to CBS, Craig was the sports editor of the Orange County edition of the Los Angeles Times and also made stops at all three of the main South Florida shops.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Ah. The name makes sense now.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Worked for Craig when he was the boss in Jacksonville... reconnected with him through this site.

RIP, Craig... Much too young and full of life to have it be over.

Matt

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Don't quite know what to say, except what MileHigh said ... this is crushing.

RIP, Craig. You were a fine man.

5. Dave_Doyle

Dave_Doyle New Member

Worked with Craig from afar when I was with SportsLine's Tacoma satellite office. Since then, I've found him the voice of sanity here on the board through the all dizzying changes in our business. RIP to a great one.

6. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

This is so scary, folks. Death knows no time.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

RINNNGGGGGG

"Hello?"
    "Hey, it's Stanke."

Never Craig. Never, "Hey Mike, it's Stanke." Always, "Hey, it's Stanke."

"Hey man. You calling from Santa Fe?" Or San Francisco. Or any other SF combination I could think of quickly.
    He loved the mystery surrounding that name for some silly reason.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. Scary. And sad. Did that end up being his last post here?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He was the first person who ever sent me a PM on here, which was our introduction. The point of his message was: Cool it and walk away. I did (on that thread at least).

This is the only place I knew him, but he always had a way of making his points without pissing off or belittling the person he was responding to. That probably makes him a singular figure on here.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No, his last post was this:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3349524/

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I found out about Craig's death by happenstance - saw a friend's comment about it on Facebook. I was shocked then and am still a bit in that state.

I first met Craig the day before I started working at SportsLine.com at, appropriately enough, Sharkey's (for those that knew him, you'll understand).
    He was such a great guy and taught me so much, which I've tried to carry with me even years after leaving South Florida.

Words are hard to come by. I hardly knew him the best, but I do know he will be missed greatly and by a whole heck of a lot of people.

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I did know him.
    I worked for him.
    And all I can say is goodgoddamn I will miss him. I showed up at SportsLine.com thinking I knew all there was to know. And then I learned a lot.
    And we drank a lot and laughed a lot and generally decided we'd never have all the answers, but NOBODY was going to try to have all the answers harder than us.
    And now he's gone and I'm in some bleeping airport on another assignment and he'd be proud of that.
    And I'm crying and I'm laughing and keeping up with everything about him, and people around me are looking at me like I'm crazy. Well, another good was lost, denizens of the airport, and you didn't know him. But if you knew what he meant to so many, and what you read in your daily rag or web-site every day, you'd miss him to.
    St.Anke (his NTN Trivia name, for those who don't know), I know you quit drinking, but it's OK now. I'll raise one (or four) to you on the flight to Baltimore.

Draft saved Draft deleted