1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, W.C. Heinz

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WildBillyCrazyCat, Feb 27, 2008.

1. As am I, now.
    (Sorry, IW. Didn't mean to implying you were shilling your own work.)

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

One man's worthless opinion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=joyce/080303

YD&OHS, etc

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

RIP.

The world has become a slightly darker place.

5. rdeitsch

rdeitsch New Member

Of the great Heinz, Jeff MacGregor paints an elegant tribute in this week's SI. Page 22.

Cool to see craftsman honoring craftsman.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

A nice piece from Allen Barra at the WSJ:

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB120468415698812507.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's a shame SI doesn't have the link mentioned in his piece working.

MacGregor references a 2000 profile of Heinz and there's a notation that "It's online at SI.com/heinz." I went to SI.com/heinz and got a page not found message.

Anybody wanting to read the profile from eight years ago needs to go to ... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/magazine/02/27/heinz.flashback092500/index.html

8. I can't believe it's been a week and this is the first I've heard of Heinz's passing. That saddens me almost as much as the news itself.

For what it's worth, I'll be turning 22 tomorrow and won't graduate until December, but Heinz's work has inspired me as an aspiring sports journalist more than any other writer - and that's by light years. I only came upon his work recently on a whim and ended up writing a 15-page term paper on him for a literary journalism class. I could've written much more. I think that was the most enjoyable experience I've ever had in writing a paper for school. I couldn't put down "What a Time It Was" and I can't tell you how hard it was to finally turn the book in to the library - weeks late. I need a copy of my own.

RIP, Bill. You will be sorely missed, but you will live on in the writing of those you've inspired and influenced.

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Ignorance,

You've restored my faith.

Twenty-two and read Heinz. Can you put yourself up for adoption?

YD&OHS, etc

10. Jones

Jones Active Member

Seriously, friend. It's like the skies have opened up.

Tools, if you're not worried about outing yourself to me, PM me your address and I'll send you one of my copies of What A Time It Was. My SportsJournalists.com Secret Santa got me a new copy last year -- bless his heart -- and I think it would be nice to pass along an old one to a yung'un. No pressure, but if you want it, it's yours.

All I ask is that you keep it in sight when you're writing.

11. Hoo-fucking-rah!

12. It's Ms., actually. ;) And hey, I have a few surrogate parents. What's one more?

Jones, your offer is one of the best presents I've received today. Honestly, you don't know how happy that would make me. It won't leave my line of sight, I'll tell you that much. PM's a-comin'.

Draft saved Draft deleted