1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Willie Mays

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo, Jun 18, 2024.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

One of the all-time greats. An aptly named Giant. Legend from a legendary period in the game.

misterbc likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Of you could transpose players to a different era, I'd love to see Mays hit and play CF for 81 games in Coors Field.

MileHigh likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

If you were a kid of a certain age living in the Bay Area, you had this PSA memorized, all the way down to the "If you see a blasting cap, remember now, don't touch them! Tell a police! Or a fireman! Whatever it is!"

Woody Long, qtlaw and HanSenSE like this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Willie to Kobe: "You're just No. 8 now."

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

As a Giants fan, this stings bad. I’m too young to have seen him play, but he was a living legend. Every time I got to the park, I pass his statue out front.

He was a true ambassador for the game and for the Giants. He bridged the New York and San Francisco eras and was a legend in both cities. Just an all around class act. The park just won’t be the same.

RIP, Willie.

qtlaw, misterbc, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The new Mays bio and the relatively new Horace Stoneham bio are excellent resources materials for Mays fans.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  7. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

He became a star, 1954, a year after I was born so I grew up with him. My Dad, who played fastball in Winnipeg, was a baseball encyclopedia… he liked baseball more than hockey. He would talk about DiMaggio for hours and later Mays, too. We watched every Giants game that ever got broadcast in W Canada since 1960. Obviously the 1962 WS plus a surprising number of Game of the Week broadcasts.
    We would go out to the closest school yards and play long distant ‘catch’. I had a strong right arm from hundreds of hours making long throws to my buddies on playgrounds and baseball diamonds. I would throw it as high as I could, with distance, and he would drift under it and make the basket catch then do the classic Mays underhand throw back to me. And it had something on it when it hit my glove. It was the one thing my Dad and I had in common and did together…throwing hard curve and fastballs back and forth almost everyday when I was a kid and lived at home. We would take turns doing the catchers squat and see who could hit the glove. Really good times that I can only hope other kids could and did experience.
    The Twins were my 60s AL team and the Giants in the NL. Juan Marichal was such a great pitcher to watch. Overall I saw Mays probably 20 times on TV and he never failed to do something, either making a great catch or hammering a double in the gap. He probably never had a bad game.
    After my parents divorced my mother got remarried and her new married name was Mays. A Mays-ing!
    RIP to possibly the very best.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
    Huggy, Sea Bass, qtlaw and 7 others like this.
  8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

He was one of the only old timers I would’ve liked to see play. RIP.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I mentioned NPR’s Road to Rickwood podcast on the main baseball thread. Episode 2 is centered on Mays, who grew up on the neighboring city of Fairfield before breaking in with the Birmingham Black Barons while still in high school.

RIP. Feels surreal that he’s essentially going to have a nationally broadcast wake on Thursday.

From Fairfield, Mobile and Montgomery respectively.

Woody Long likes this.
  10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

All three gone now.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've told this story on the golf pages before ... I met Mays about 15 years ago at a senior golf event in San Fran. A PR rep quietly asked me if I wanted to talk to Willie Mays in the clubhouse and I about shit myself. I drafted off Ron Kroichick from the Chronicle, the only other one who got the tip, and talked to Willie. He told several stories about his younger years playing golf (big hitter, go figure), I asked him if he had any experiences with players in the field and he told a story about playing catch with Tom Watson's son.

Hours later, Watson finished his round and I tracked him down. He was beaming in retelling the story, grabbing my arm: "my boy played catch with Willie Mays!" I walked away thinking how Watson has answered a billion questions about the chip-in at Pebble, the Duel in the Sun and the Masters, but surely not many about his son and Willie Mays. Very cool.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Writing about fandom in Three Bricks Shy of a Load, Roy Blount Jr. as a child idolized Mays and finally got to meet him covering an All-Star game. Blount made sure to study up in order to impress the Say Hey Kid with his ardent baseball insight. So they meet in the clubhouse during practice and it's all Blount can do to contain his bubbling excitement. "Willie," he says, "do you realize you had eight RBIs in the last seven games without the benefit of an extra-base hit?"

Mays looks at him. "Man," he says, " I don't keep up with that shit."

Draft saved Draft deleted