1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rob Neyer: most influential baseball writer of the last 10 years

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by yourbuddy, Jun 13, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Moneyball/Sabremetrics style of offensive baseball has been around since the days of Ruth. The difference is that no one authored a book on the brilliance of taking pitches in 1908.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Do not stare directly at Rob Neyer.

Do not taunt Rob Neyer.

Actually, I've seen too many 21-year-olds with dead arms to say that pitch-count is a totally asinine idea.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Spnited, Nah. Wasn't pinning it on Neyer. I don't read a whole lot of Neyer, because he makes my eyes glaze over. Was just reacting to the initial post which patted Neyer on the back for his analysis that high pitch counts hurt young pitchers. Just read the Verducci column quickly. I actually can't argue too hard with him or Neyer, because I'd be arguing out of school. Maybe they are on to something...

But that Verducci article is from 2003, so you have the benefit of what has happened since... and I can just as easily argue that the Royals didn't ruin their pitchers by accelerating their innings pitched too quickly. You could argue that Chris George and Chad Durbin just weren't very good pitchers.

Look at his warnings for pitchers at the bottom of the column. It's sort of a mixed bag. Some of them have hard arm problems. Some have been great pitchers. Some have been crummy pitchers, but without arm problems.

I need to see something more convincing before I buy into it. Anecdotally, I wonder why guys back in the day went on three days rest with no problem. Pitch both ends of a double header? No problem. Were arm injuries any more common then?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Unless, sjhottie, you subscribe to the Tommy John theory that the reason they had dead arms at 21 is they were on strict pitch counts at 18 and 19 in the minors and never developed the necessay arm strength to wthstand a couple of high-pitch games.
    John's theory is putting 18-year-old No. 1 draft picks on a 70 or 75 pitch count at the start of the minor-league careers is stunting their growth as pitchers.
    The success of the Braves pitching staff was built on throwing every day and NOT worrying about pitch counts...and last I looked Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz are still doing OK at 40+

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes, sp, and on the other side, I'm seeing 17-year-olds being leaned on during state-championship runs year after year, going 120-130 pitches twice in a week ... and they're never the same.

Who's right? Maybe both.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yup, shot. The fine line between babying them and overworking them.
    I've seen HS coaches abuse kids. I've seen MLB and minor league managers go overboard babying them.
    Occasionally, common sense prevails. but not often enough

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I'm with Big Ragu. Baseball is EASILY my favorite sport and I love stats, but Neyer's columns bore me to no end. I'd rather watch Jewelry Television for three hours. I don't even think he's the best baseball writer on ESPN. That distinction goes to Buster Olney.

8. Dynasty99

Dynasty99 Member

Damn Straight

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Good point about the Braves, spirited. Mazzone's theory was/is that throwing every day was necessary to building arm strength, and that's as good a reason as any that none of his pitchers save for veteran Smoltz and youngster Ramirez have developed any substantial arm problems (Hampton was only there a year before he blew out his elbow).

They do, however, certainly keep pitch counts, throughout the organization, and 120 is essentially the magic number per game (and that's only if you've earned it.) Smoltz, I believe, is the only Braves pitcher to have gone over that number in a long, long time -- but that's only in the last 3 years, and he's seemed to earn that latitude from Bobby Cox because of his status as a potential HOFer and a loyal team veteran. (Also, a horrendous bullpen.) But Smoltz is also honest with himself and his manager in regards to injury or exhaustion, and he knows how to pace himself, both in a game and in a season. Early in his career, he wasn't allowed to throw 120 unless it was a game of imminent importance (maybe a no-hitter going, pennant clincher, or a playoff game.)

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He's no Paul Meyer, I'll tell ya that

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Rob Neyer is to Bill James as Harold Miner was to Michael Jordan.

Neyer got his start as a research assistant, writing little bitty articles which were stuck in the very very back of the later Baseball Abstracts, while the big man did the heavy lifting up front.

James' stuff was usually (not always) brilliant. Neyer is occasionally brilliant, usually tedious.

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Bingo.

But Rob Neyer's dad could probably beat up your dad.

Draft saved Draft deleted