1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Royal Bank of Scotland to investors: 'Sell everything'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 12, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would love for you to dig out any post that references an 18-month time span on the biotech fund, yes. That would aid the discussion greatly. As that post does not exist, I will leave it here and note again that the investment you want to rub my face in is one that has gained me almost 50 percent.

I don't purport to give advice or be a guru on here. However, I should note that, had someone pieced together my advice and yours over the last seven years, they'd be wearing Armani suits based on what I've said and a barrel based on what you've said.

Seriously bro. I just checked my Fidelity account yet again, just for you. I bought it at 134. It's now at 193. That's a 44 percent gain. Do you subscribe to Fake Investing News on Facebook or something?

ETA: Looking again, I must have bought it earlier than that -- my cost basis is indeed $134, which meant I probably started buying in April of that year. As of July it was at 164. Still not close to the 190 you're saying it's at now. And, still, scoreboard. That is a good indication of how much I "trade" though -- I've held that fund for so long, I don't even know the origination point. It has done me well, though, despite the alternate reality you have cooked up in your head as to that fund's history.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

From the Gospel of Matthew:

“The servant who received the five bags of silver began to invest the money and earned five more. The servant with two bags of silver also went to work and earned two more. But the servant who received the one bag of silver dug a hole in the ground and hid the master’s money."

I'm servant No. 3.:)

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There is more bitterness on this thread than any political thread. I love it.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just looked so I could be exact. You didn't buy that fund at 134 on 7/22/13. Sorry. The NAV was at 164 that day. I was wrong. The NAV was at 190 on 7/22/14 and I just did a quick look before. The NAV certainly wasn't 134 on 7/22/13. Sorry.

But quick, pick a new date and try again! You'll be able to create a 44 percent return if you try enough dates in the past. Want my help to find the right date?

You are pretty good, though. Unlike most people who dollar cost average with their retirement funds, putting a bit of money in at different points over time. ... you picked a date to plow a pile of money into that fund, and you have sat tight since then. Most people would have bought some at 160, 185, 190, etc. And bought some more at NAVs of 250 or 275 or 290 last year when it was hitting a top. But not you! You knew when to plow the motherload in and step aside.

Even if your bullshit did add up (and it doesn't), your market timing is extraordinary. Are you sure you don't want to post your trading statements? You have a keen sense of timing, even if it isn't the made-up 44 percent return you came up with.

5. LongTimeListener

Posting a trading statement with identifying information on a non-secure anonymous message board definitely sounds like a good idea. I'll think about it.

Anyway, as noted, I think I had a date wrong but definitely not the cost basis. I bought it at $134. It has gained 44 percent. This is true and factual information.

Meanwhile, you've been posting on here of the likelihood that we would be at 1,500 and even the possibility that we would get down to 1,000. So we'll take your expertise for what it's worth.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Remind me never to play poker with you two ... We'd never get past the first hand.

7. The Big Ragu

I don't play poker. But you might not want to play with him. He has the magic ability to draw 5 aces.

doctorquant likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

Ragu would spend the whole night hovering over the pot because of the imminent alien invasion to steal it all.

Riptide, SpeedTchr and doctorquant like this.
  9. The Big Ragu

You read an alien invasion into something I have said.

I just read your ACTUAL bullshit.

44 percent return! I checked my statement. ... but maybe I have the date wrong.

doctorquant likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Actually, I might find the evening profitable. While you two argue I'd occasionally steal a few chips from each of your piles. At the end of the night (after maybe the third hand) I'd have all the money despite not having won once!

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

It's kind of like his retirement account, actually.

doctorquant likes this.
  12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Ragu, just whip out your dick, take a pic and post it. It would save you ten thousand words.

Draft saved Draft deleted