1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rudy's Campaign Hits Another Bump

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I guarantee you that would be the most interesting presidential race of most of our lifetimes...

2. Here's Rudy's platform, from a speech to Regent University yesterday.

"Don't expect to agree with me on everything because that would be unrealistic. I don't even agree with me on everything," he said.

So he's against himself before he was for himself?
    That's the gold standard quote, right there.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I think you're selling Gore way, way short.

4. I agree.
    Wasn't the complaint about him in 2000 was that he had too many plans on too many issues?
    Yes, as I recall, it was.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What - Clinton didn't have plans?

I'm telling you - Gore knows too much about absolutely everything. He'd be like Clinton on every issue that ain't green - splitting hairs and narrowing gaps as if he's trying to stick a boat in a bottle. He'd jab for four years.

On the green issue, he's on target. It's a security issue, a terrorism issue, an environment issue and a faith issue. I'd consider voting for him on that one issue.

But I'll admit I'm just tired of dealing with what the 60s drug in, tired of watching the respective political camps build on different sides of the river that was that decade. I think Obama's essentially right: We can't be bipartisan if we're looking across the proverbial aisle at draft dodgers, kings of deferment, soldiers, non-soliders, activist, bra burners, ivory tower geeks, the geeks that resent the ivory tower geeks, etc.

6. Disconnect, disconnect. disconnect.
    What I recall is that Gore took the lead on reforming government, and on airport security,long before he became famous as he is now on environmentalism, and I also recall the cheap ridicule he took on THAT issue from media wiseguys in 2000. (So does The Daily Howler. Check it out.) The idea that somebody could know "too much" about something as a handicap for being president is rather, ah, belied by the events of the last seven years. And I don't think he'd triangulate the way either Clinton has, not now. I really do believe he's changed that much. (And there's enough in the historical record to indicate that he objected to a lot of it when he was the VP, too.)
    As to point two -- I agree that Obama's "get beyond the 1960's" theme is both intriguing, and something I'd like to see explained in miore detail. Problem is, of course, the other side never did get beyond the 1960s and 1970s and is currently in the middle of an ongoing and feverish attempt to roll every achievement of that time back. I'd like Obama to tell me how his new paradigm deals with that. Not that I don't agree with him, just need more details.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Gore's problem in 2000 was that he is who is is - that's unlikely to change.

Edwards is a lightweight, and his phoniness won't survive the spotlight.

Jury's out on Obama, we'll see what he is when he says something.

HRC is still the huge frontrunner, I would love to see her pick Clark who those who remember know looks great until he opens his mouth. She can win, but not with him.

8. Well, that certainly settles that.
    John Edwards -- self-made millionnaire and lightweight in a field that includes those titans of gravitas and principled consistency on the other side. And Wesley Clark, doesn't speak well enough to be VP and has crazy ideas in a year in which a third of the GOP field declines to believe in evolution.
    I'm certainly convinced.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Jones.....I'll take the bet if anyone backs out

10. Jonesy -- Not only will I take the bet, give me two-to-one, and I'll bet McCain doesn't make it through Super Tuesday.
    Here's some more from Rudy's speech -- given, it should be noted, at a school run by a raving lunatic bigot, which ought to be a story in itself, but won't be, because nobody wants to get Jesus's Idiot Nephew angry:

“The United States government, then President Clinton, did not respond,” Giuliani said. “(Osama) bin Laden declared war on us. We didn’t hear it.”

Well, foof, we know YOU didn't hear it, since you put the damn emergency response center in the place that already had been bombed once, and refused to spend the dough to get the fire and police first responders the technology to talk to each other.
    Also, you've argued the exact opposite about five times in the past seven years.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

F_B, if you're gonna go off on every Rudy contradiction, every bit of Rudy stupidity, every bit of Rudy arrogance between now and the time he drops out of the race, you're gonna have to start your own message board.

12. Turns out Bill Clinton's policies really were good enough for Rudy.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/28/AR2006092800307.html

For himself before he was against himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted