1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011-12 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Nov 7, 2011.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I would take the Vandy pair over the Florida and Missouri pairs, especially in terms of pro potential (although, of the four, Beal may be the best pro).

As far as Kentucky, I was talking college teams, not NBA prep academies ;D

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Michigan holds off Penn State, so if Ohio State beats Sparty later today there's a 3-way tie for the Big Ten title.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

25 and 10 for Mike Scott with 9 minutes to go. I know Virginia has fallen apart around him, but I don't see how he's not ACC player of the year.

4. Big Circus

To quote another poster on this thread, I will buy a farm so I can bet it on Maryland winning this game.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Hey, I just bought a farm, too. I'm in!

I've got Virginia.

6. Big Circus

Uh...my fingers were crossed?

HOOS HOOS HOOS :D :D

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Creighton just saved a lot of bubble teams a lot of angst by beating Illinois State in OT.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

His numbers for the ACC season are nearly identical to Zeller's, Zeller outperformed him in the head-to-head matchups, Zeller led his team to an ACC championship and he isn't the primary focus of UNC's offense. I don't see how Zeller is not the ACC player of the year.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think it really depends on whether you view the award as recognizing the most valuable player or the best player in the conference. Mike Scott was the most valuable player in the ACC this year. Tyler Zeller probably was the best.

Zeller's ACC averages: 18.5 points, 9.7 rebounds, 1.9 blocks and 28.7 minutes a game
    Scott's ACC averages: 19.6 points, 7.7 rebounds and 32.7 minutes a game

I don't feel like recalculating Scott's field-goal percentage, but it wasn't better than Zeller's.

10. Big Circus

You're probably right that he'll get it. But Zeller only outplayed Scott in Charlottesville because John Henson and the refs made a concerted effort to get Scott out of the game. (Not that that will matter to the voters, and it shouldn't.) And Zeller doesn't get doubled every time he gets the ball. Also, not for nothing, but Scott didn't singlehandedly lose any games for UVa the way Zeller did for UNC at home against Duke.

What's really important is that Stoglin isn't in the mix. Has there ever been a less impactful ACC scoring leader?

11. Big Circus

Also, UNC plays about twice as fast as UVa. If you adjust for pace, Scott comes out way ahead.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Jeff Lamp. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted