1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011 Baseball Thread, Vol. I: Dedicated to spnited

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Vaccaro also said Lou Gehrig not among top 5 all time Yankees.

2. cjericho

Excellent. Chen starts today. Hopefully the Red Sox check today's scheduled starters.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The whole idea is pretty wild.

I'd think they'd try to get three innings or so out of each Lackey and Wakefield and then hope they've got something left in the bullpen.

But, this scenario is so interesting, I'd almost like to see it.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I would use anyone in the building but Lackey or Miller.

5. YankeeFan

They should have traded for Javy Vazquez before he started last night.

He's been hot, and is likely retiring.

6. YankeeFan

Lackey's last start doesn't give you any hope?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you're the guy the Red Sox trade for, don't you demand a $500K bonus just to show up? Otherwise you just tell them you're going to take your allotted three days or whatever the union gives you to show up, and you'll be there Saturday.

8. cjericho

You've been a Yankees fans for a few years, no? It'd be comical for Boston to trade for Vazquez and have him give up 8 runs in 1 plus vs. TB. I still can't believe Vazquez has more strikeouts than Don Drysdale.

9. YankeeFan

That's a great point.

While it would be a thrill for someone to go from a team out of the play-offs to pitching in a big game, you'd never have more leverage.

If they don't do as you propose, they're missing a pig opportunity (and a big pay day). I would think the player's agent would make sure he gets paid as you suggest.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

How would they sort out waiver priority?

11. YankeeFan

The guy sucked -- twice -- as a Yankee. I wouldn't want him pitching in a big game for the Yankees.

But, with nothing to lose, he might have done well with one last start as a Red Sox.

But, you're right. He might have flopped, and Yankees' fans would have been laughing their asses off.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There's no incentive for this pitcher -- as he would not be postseason-eligible -- and it could create a shitstorm on the staff. A bigger one than they already have.

I wouldn't trust Lackey to mail a postcard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.