1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011 Baseball Thread, Vol. I: Dedicated to spnited

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Red Sox are running a business. They have invested very heavily in an underperforming player for six months -- time, energy, dollars. They need to get something out of him.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sunk cost fallacy.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

If he's not one of the players best suited to help them win games in the postseason, why? I'm with Rick on this one.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Yeah, you're both wrong. Only Rick has made a habit of it.

5. RickStain

Argumentum ad hominem.

6. mb

mb Active Member

That's wrong.
    Really, really, wrong.

The old, if I keep playing the lottery, sooner or later I'm bound to win.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Why are we wrong? If he's better than your other options, then yeah, go with him. If he's not, leave him off the roster.

8. Herbert Anchovy

There's a reason Adam Dunn has gotten 500 plate appearances this season, sucking chode at a record clip.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

And if the White Sox had a better option, it would have been wrong in that case as well. Winning games helps the business, especially in the postseason.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree with Rick. Yeah, some teams will continue to run a guy out there when he sucks, and the Red Sox did that because they didn't really have any other options to fill out the rotation in the last couple of months.

But once you get to the playoffs, you only need three starters for round one - probably Beckett, Lester and Bedard - and four for round two. Maybe it'll slot up so that they have to use Lackey, since the other option is Wakefield and Lackey pitched better than him recently, but I imagine they'll do whatever possible to skip both.

The Sox have left Wakefield and Derek Lowe off past postseason rosters, regardless of their contract status and/or seniority with the team. Wakefield or Lackey is probably getting left off this one too; you don't need five starters in the postseason, and the Sox probably need to carry a third catcher (Lavarnway) because Varitek and Salty are banged up.

EDIT: Also, how quickly I forget because of his season-ending injury, but I think Dice-K also might have been left off a postseason roster. And their old closer, Kim, after he blew a game or two in the ALDS.

11. RickStain

Playoffs are not regular season.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, agreed. Plus, since the White Sox were out of it around the trade deadline (or at least they thought so by their trading), you might as well play Dunn and see if he can reinvigorate his bat for the final two months, and hope you can use that to build on for a decent 2012 season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.