1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011 Baseball Thread, Vol. I: Dedicated to spnited

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Jose Reyes is no Ted Williams.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's pretty funny, because Willie Wilson sat out the final day of the 1982 season to preserve his .332 average, and Robin Yount went 3 for 4 but could only get to .331. So the Brewers remain (probably) without a batting champion.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Mets ended up with a better record than I though. I predicted 70-92 at best.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Mets-Reds played their game in 2:15. Only three total walks and no pitching changes made in the middle of an inning.

Can anyone play a faster game today?

5. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

When I did radio for a Class A team in 2000 the last game of the year took a brisk 1:45. Of course it took three extra hours on the way home to make it through the Wisconsin Dells traffic on Labor Day.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's a chickenshit move by Reyes. I think it tells you a lot about his character as a competitor. A true competitor would have tried to go 4-4 to lock it up.

I've been unimpressed with Reyes' attitude down the stretch. I won't get high and mighty and say that what he's doing is wrong, because I don't begrudge players trying to make every cent they can while they are able, but he's been half-assing it for weeks to avoid getting injured.

He's been playing with a tweaked hamstring, but he knew that if he sat out games, it was going to cost him money because he's already been on the DL twice and isn't known as a durable player. While he's been on the field, there have been several times when he stopped at second rather than attempting to reach third because he was worried about hurting himself further.

Today, he was more willing to bet on Braun to fail than on himself to succeed to win the batting title (and add some value to his next contract). Again, I'm not saying it's wrong, but it says a lot about him as a competitor and it's something teams will stupidly overlook when they throw money at him in the offseason. I hope Braun goes 4-4.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

That is chickenshit, absolutely. Roberto Alomar once sat out the last weekend to preserve a .300 average.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Buchholz has been activated.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/09/clay-buchholz-activated-prior-to-regular-season-finale-in-baltimore-could-be-factor-if-red-sox-advan.html?rs-img120=0

9. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Probably not. But it's what happens when it's the last game of the season, both teams are out of it and both just want to finish the game and go on their winter vacations.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Mattingly thought about batting Kemp leadoff last night to give him a chance for more at-bats, but didn't, citing the importance of the game to the D'backs and the integrity of his lineup. He might do it tonight. We'll see. Batting average title is out of reach, but he needs 2 homers for a 40/40 season.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I thought exactly this yesterday, that the jackals were tarnishing the SPNITED thread and Moddy should call a moratorium.
    Can I be a mod

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. That's why I asked.

And the Mets-Reds put up a nice, low round as the first two in the clubhouse. I'll be curious to see if anyone can catch them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.