1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011 Baseball Thread, Vol. I: Dedicated to spnited

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not sure who should be sicker right now: David Price or Joe Maddon.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

OK, "YankeeFan." The bolded part negates the second part, doesn't it?

Love that Murderer's Row the Yanks sent to the plate tonight too.

When things like this happen, I'll always be reminded of the Astros laying down against the Braves in 1991, thus ensuring the Dodgers lose the division title (their quotes afterward were quite entertaining):

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/1991-schedule-scores.shtml

This happens, whether "YankeeFan" wants to admit it or not.

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Just remember that the '06 Cardinals had a bad September and backed into the playoffs on the final day of the regular season. They went on to win the World Series.

You just have to get in whatever way possible.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

How bad is it raining in Baltimore?

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Meh. Tough shit. Red Sox should never have been in this situation to begin with. They made their own bed to have to depend on a nothing-to-play-for Yankee team.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is just an incredible night of baseball. Chipper Jones came about five feet from winning it for the Braves in the 10th.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I used to play goalie in hockey as a kid. I sucked.

The worst was when you gave up a bunch of goals, and then the team came back like this, but fell short.

You know if you could have just held them, just gotten your shit together, you would have had a chance to win.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I understand that people are tired of the Red Sox, but I suspect you would sing a different tune if the Brewers were involved.

The Integrity of the Game only matters when it's convenient.

Yeah, you bet I think the Yanks are laying down now.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They aren't doing a very good job of it, what with the scoring 7 runs and having the lead going into the ninth and all.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

No kidding.

Again: Even if they laid down and quit, they earned the right to do whatever they want by being better than anyone else in the AL over 161 games. Don't want to have to rely on someone else in the finale? Don't blow a 9 1/2-game lead in September.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I get it. But, they haven't let anyone stay in there to get lit up either.

He matched up lefties. He used Hughes and Burnett. He used Logan.

So, I don't think they intentionally walked or hit guys to give 'em a chance.

Plus, it was mostly their everyday lineup. They only pulled A-Rod after his knee was bothering him. He was in the original lineup.

If you want to blame anybody, blame MLB. If there was two days between the end f the season and the start of the playoffs, the Yankees manage the game very differently.

Your game 3 starter can start and be on schedule. Let him go five innings or so. And there's no reason not to use your bullpen.

They had to know this would happen with the schedule as it is.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Mike Napoli with back-to-back two-homer games against the Angels to end the season for the playoff-bound Rangers. FUCK YOU SCIOSCIA!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.