1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011 Baseball Thread, Vol. I: Dedicated to spnited

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Echoing it: There has never been a night like this in the history of baseball. That's largely because there could never be a night like this, owing to the recent wild-card expansion, but ... geez, you had three cliffhanger games at the same time, all with do-or-die playoff implications. Think about how many times you can watch a night of baseball and say "you know, I've never seen that before." And we end up in a discussion of how unfair baseball is?

Moving on, Tigers-Yankees is the series I most want to see. I like Detroit a lot in that one.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't have a MLB team I root for. Not sure why that concept is so difficult for everybody.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Who said I didn't enjoy watching the baseball tonight? It was very entertaining.

TSP on the other hand, felt the need to start an argument.

4. LongTimeListener

Also the Cardinals handled the Phillies pretty well this year -- 6-3 and I thought I saw a graphic on MLB that they have really taken a torchlight to the Phillies' starters.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.camdenchat.com/2011/9/28/2457024/overflow-red-sox-os#comments

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Tonight is one of those nights that make me happy I'm a baseball fan. For all the bullshit about ticket prices, salary caps, 4-hour Yank/Red Sox games, ESPN playing favorites, World Series games ending at 1 a.m., tonight is what it's all about.

Oh, and if any Rays fans see Buck Showalter, buy him whatever drink he wants. Even if it's a half-pint of milk. And next year, when the O's visit Tampa for the first time, give that team a standing ovation.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A noob who shall go unnamed may disagree with me, but the Braves have been one of the most overrated teams over the last 20 or so years. All that pitching. All that talent. Bobby Cox, almost a deity. And ONE World Series? And last year the talk was, after they lost to the Giants, "Oh, they didn't have Chipper." Well, they had Chipper ... and found another way to lose.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Had to appreciate it as Atlanta was churning its little legs as hard as it could to keep its season alive, and Philly marched out Bucky and Alfalfa and my little nephew Freddie from Allentown, and just kept shutting them down.

What was the winning pitcher's name again? Heather Von Trapp?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Braves' big problem was that they never had that closer who would just slam the door in the postseason. Pena, McMichael, Stanton, Wohlers, Lightenberg, Rocker et al would have one or two excellent seasons, then flame out in the playoffs (except for Wohlers in '95 ).

If the Braves have Rivera, or perhaps Hoffman, we'd be having a much different discussion.

10. LongTimeListener

Not that the Sox have much excuse, but along the lines of how cool it was to see the Orioles going balls-out, don't Sox fans have a beef with the Yankees not using Rivera? He has only pitched twice in the last week -- 28 pitches in all -- and won't throw again until Friday.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

No. Can't have a legitimate beef either way.

If the Yankees decide it's in their best interest to go balls-to-the-wall, that's their call.

And if they decide they're better off to rest some people with the playoffs around the corner, that's their call.

12. LongTimeListener

Yeah, I know that thinking ... it just seemed glaring that in the ninth inning of a one-run game they'd think "no, we don't need Mo" when he isn't due on the mound for another 48 hours. Yankees-Sawx being what it is, I'm sure it was noticed and commented on in Boston too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.