1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011 Baseball Thread, Vol. I: Dedicated to spnited

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

That word was bellowed through my newsroom about 15 times during the games.

You're story, however, that just delighted me.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Listen, I've without a doubt imposed a narrative on facts myself, complete with themes and plot points and everything else.

But I also think that it can be taken a step too far, and we've reached that point with the Red Sox, where the events are now crammed into the predetermined narrative.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

According to that site, the Rays had a 3% or less chance of making the playoffs thoughout most of the last two months of the season.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the song playing in background of Rays clubhouse celebration when Madden was being interviewed. Seemed like a good party song.

5. prhack

prhack Member

As someone who lived and died with the Braves during that run, I'd argue that a lack of timely hitting was the ultimate reason they didn't win more titles. From the 1-0 loss in Game 7 of the '91 WS to the blackout in '96 (24 runs through the fifth inning of Game 4, 2 runs the rest of the way), the offense simply wasn't consistent enough to take advantage of the starting pitching. You're correct that Glavine and Maddux had losing records in the postseason (14-16 and 11-14, respectively), but look at the ERAs (3.30 and 3.27). Those guys did more than enough to win. The run support simply wasn't there. Smoltz was definitely the most dominant of three, but it's interesting to note that the one time the Braves won the whole thing, he was a complete disaster (2.1 innings, 15.43 ERA in his only start against Cleveland). Glavine, meanwhile, had a 1.29 ERA in his two starts (on his way to WS MVP).

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

From what I have seen in the blogosphere the last 12 hours, a lot of people seem to think the probability formula needs adjusting. At least the one used by Baseball Prospectus.

7. Herbert Anchovy

The pink hats want an execution.

http://player.streamtheworld.com/_players/entercom/player/?id=WEEI

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Since Curb Your Enthusiasm aired its Bill Buckner redemption episode, the Sawx went 6-18.

Thank you, Nate Silver.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've wondered about that, but I don't see why this would be the case just because of some improbable outcomes. How many teams a year have a 3% chance to make the playoffs with a month to go? If it's around half-a-dozen, you'd expect one of these comebacks once every five years.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Turned it on, and the first thing I heard was the sports-talk guy ending a call, "Hey, it was a great day for baseball, a bad day for the Sawx fan."

Actually, a pretty healthy outlook.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Gammons was just on. He said they will do whatever they can to ship out Lackey.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Its unbelievable how things sometimes align,

Crawford, the mega-dollar FA signing, fails to make a not-so-difficult catch, then makes a throw that is worse than Bonds and the Red Sox collapse is complete;

Meanwhile Crawford's old team, the Rays, step through the door to grab the Wild-Card spot.

Its true the Bosox were going nowhere in the postseason, not with starters like Lackey/Bedard. After '04 & '07, the Bosox have at least 50 years of a pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.