1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011 Baseball Thread, Vol. I: Dedicated to spnited

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is a little bit more embraceable:

From SoSH:

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Adrian Gonzalez's team last year had the same percentage chance of making the playoffs throughout most of September as did his team this year, according to that chart.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Every team celebrates walk-off wins. Screw them. All that nonsense the Red Sox pulled in that mid-season season against the Oriolkes came back to bite them in the ass as the O's had to be super-motivated.

Maybe the best closing days of the regular season since 1964, when eight teams (3 AL, 5 NL) had a chance at the WS heading into the final weekend.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

OK, that's a really cool thing. My inner statistician/alter ego -- Parameter Man! -- gets hot and bothered by stuff like that.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Short of cutting him, what can they do? The Giants have been saying the same thing about Zito for three years.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That radio show just told me seven of the top 10 payrolls did not make the playoffs, while two of the bottom six did.

7. LongTimeListener

Oh, now don't you start, TSP ... the bat signal has already gone up!

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The A's and who was the other one?

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

No team has become so entitled and prissy the way the Red Sox, and many of their fans, have.

10. LongTimeListener

You are right, but the Steelers are mounting a late comeback attempt.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't remember who it was, but there was an NL ump about 20 years ago who would do the same thing.

The two funny things I found about it was the ump would take three steps to make the call, then five or six steps to go back to his position. That, and after a few innings, the ump wore a path in the dirt.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Saw that apparently on the play Scutaro was thrown out at the plate, he hesitated between 2nd and 3rd because he heard lots of people cheering and thought Reimold had made a diving catch. Turns out it was jackass Sox fans who were cheering when the ball fell in.

Love how they ensured Matt Wieters was Marco's daddy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.