1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011 Baseball Thread, Vol. I: Dedicated to spnited

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

This should end the debate over which big market GM is better. Cashman's got 27 catchers of the future and made the playoffs with a bargain basement back of the rotation. Theo spent $82 million on John Lackey and the Sox started a Yale kid behind the plate the last two games of the year.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Baseball's a funny game. Last year, we wondered how Cashman blew all that money on Granderson.
    Before we start (deleted Winston Wolf reference), which AL East GM gave away a 2011 20-game winner?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Seriously?

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

27 catchers of the future? Montero can't catch at the major league level, Martin is emulating the Jason Kendall career path, Romine was iffy at AA, and Cervelli has hit five HRs in a season's worth of at-bats over four years. I think the Yankees making the playoffs despite a shaky rotation to start the season is more a credit to their medical staff, the one area where I think the Red Sox are really far behind. Too many seemingly minor injuries - Buchholz, Ellsbury in 2010 - morphing into season-ending affairs.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was exaggerating, obviously, and you're right, nobody knows yet if any of those guys will pan out. Just funny that Theo's been searching for Varitek's replacement since 2003 and is no closer to finding him now than then. Meanwhile, the Yankees at least have a handful of legit homegrown options.

As for medical issues, whose responsibility is that? I'm sure Tom Gill is in trouble but who hired him? Bet you Bill Morgan is having a good drunken laugh right now.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its starts off with a name-drop of Amy Madigan in an LA grocery store.

That about sums up the Red Sox.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Red Sox fans were also looking to replace Varitek in 2003. Then he turned into "Tek" and became a Boston sports legend.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Saltalamacchia and Lavarnway are probably about equivalent to whatever the Yankees are going to throw out there next season - Martin and Cervelli or Romine. (Then again, Lavarnway's defense at catcher is described as Napoli-like by scouts, so I'm not sure if he can stick there. Montero is given no shot of sticking at catcher, but he'd be a huge asset for the Yankees if he could.) Also, catcher has kind of morphed into its 1980s and 1990s, like shortstop, where the offensive level had gone back down to guys hitting .250ish with a couple HRs.

I think the Sox are fine at catcher, but have holes in the rotation and bullpen that'll be tough to fill. Also, I've never liked Crawford in left - You can take advantage of Fenway by putting some guy who can mash but barely field in LF 81 games a year. If he can handle it, I'd move him to RF this coming year, since Drew is presumably gone, and sign or trade for someone for LF. (While I like Josh Reddick, I think he's kind of like David Murphy; he could start for a non-playoff team, but he's probably league average, a little above-average at best.)

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

way too early to say Montero has no shot at catcher. His arm is at least average and release is decent, he's big and blocks the plate. needs to work on footwork and softer hands. but that can be improved. Posada pretty much resfused to block the plate and a lot of times was bad at framing, he would stab at the ball and looked as if he didn't what pitch was coming, but he lasted 15 years at catcher.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

With 5 World Series rings to show for those 15 years.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not exactly fair to say they gave away Kennedy since he was part of the deal that got them Curtis Granderson, but they certain did seem to sour on him too quickly.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Are you fucking kidding me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.