1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011 Baseball Thread, Vol. I: Dedicated to spnited

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You also have a better chance of catching for the yankees than Montero has.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No. You should not start any threads.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Interesting report from Buster Olney outside Fenway this morning on how drinking in the clubhouse (pitchers on days they're not scheduled to pitch) may have been an issue.
    Pitchers' distractions over the past week did not help (I could see these two possibly bending the elbow to deal with their personal issues). Lackey should not have been looking at his cell phone a half-hour before a game, and how the hell did that process server get in the clubhouse to serve Bedard? Sox management needs to look at clubhouse security while they're at it.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Varitek had two hits in September.

6. joe

joe Active Member

Start with punctuation. Once you master that, go on to colors.

7. joe

joe Active Member

I hope you're correct — at least about the Cardinals part.

The best series would be Cardinals-Yankees, though. THE National League flagship team against THE MLB team. And Cards in seven.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I remember when I was 16, the Cubs won the wild-card in a last-minute binge, and I thought the Cubs' 6-3 regular season performance against Atlanta meant jack crap.

Then again, I remember being 7 and thinking that it was crappy that the Giants got to the WS instead of the Cubs, because the Cubs beat the A's in spring training.

9. skiptomylou2

skiptomylou2 Member

Nothing would be good about the Cards making the WS. La Russa is a horrible manager and I hate him.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

At the risk of reawakening the saber metrics debate, and causing Moddy to reach through his modem and strangle Skip ... The Rangers built their bad-ass offense by doing a lot of things you aren't supposed to be doing according to The New Way. They ranked below average in the league in taking walks, but they also value contact, being the only team in the majors with less than 1,000 strikeouts. They also had a team BA 25 points above the league average. They ranked fourth in stolen bases.

Hit a lot if home runs -- 210, not an excessive amount but good enough for second in the league -- which drove the offense. But obviously Nolan Ryan is going against the grain on this as well as the pitch count theories, to great results the last two years.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They'd be even better if they walked more.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

When did The New Way say you couldn't score runs that way?

The New Way said walks were undervalued and raw hit totals were overvalued. They didn't say hits were worthless.

They were really good at getting hits. 1st in batting average, 3rd in run scoring. Why the two spot drop? Because they were average-ish at some other stuff like taking walks.

The Angels used to fascinate me because they could scrape a lot of value out of baserunning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.