1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011 Baseball Thread, Vol. I: Dedicated to spnited

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The Yankees are only getting one full start out of Sabathia, so they're in the same boat.

2. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Bud may have finally found a way for a Yankee playoff game to end before midnight :D

3. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but....

For someone who has talked about sabermetrics and all of that, I would think you'd notice Posada has still been more than solid against righties (.269/.348/.466 with 14 hr in 279 ab).

I guess I'm giving sock puppets too much credit though.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Nice theory, yes.

But one team is operated in a top-drawer, really-really-smart manner.

And the other isn't.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Which one are we talking about? Because I think the Rangers are one of the smartest teams in baseball, and I'm not alone.

Jon Daniels is outstanding at evaluating personnel (he got Josh Hamilton for Edinson Volquez, absolutely FLEECED the Braves for Mark Teixeira and has made a number of smart, short-term pickups like Vlad Guerrero, Mike Napoli and Cliff Lee over the years). Nolan Ryan's theories on pitcher work patterns have worked wonders for guys like C.J. Wilson and Colby Lewis.

The Rangers' ownership has also put together one of the most lucrative local TV deals in baseball. Tom Hicks was a boob, but right now, Texas is one of the top 5-7 organizations in the game from top to bottom.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sabathia ain't Verlander. Certainly not this year.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just watch. The game will remain tied and go 20 innings.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Verlander terrifies me, bu CC looked like he was on his way to a good start.

I think this has to help the Yankees. If Nova can give the Yankees just five good innings tonight, that's huge and would allow them to hand it over to Robertson & Mariano, assuming they have a lead.

I would think that might even take some pressure off of him.

And, if he doesn't do well, they can give him a quick hook, and not have to fill so many innings.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

We'll see. Damn straight, they've been warm for a couple of years, but want to see it work for the intermediate term.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It is just me, or did it seem like a mistake to have the kid throw out the first pitch yesterday? A tear-jerking moment involving a death just doesn't seem like a good way to open a home playoff game, and dragging a star player into it and reminding him again of one of the most traumatic moments of his life and then asking him to concentrate on a playoff game...destined not to end well.
    Opening day next year would've been better.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I was on football duty last night ... if the weather was so bad, why start in the first place?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Supposedly, they knew it was going to rain, but thought it would be light and they'd be able to play through it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.