1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011 Baseball Thread, Vol. I: Dedicated to spnited

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The tattoo parlor he cites as ground zero is actually in Ellenton, next door to Bradenton.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The Cubs have crushed many an oversized ego. Good luck with that, Theo.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

At this point I don't care who the GM is. I just hope the Cubs hire Ryne Sandberg and the Sox hire Dave Martinez.

The entertainment value of the two exchanging line-up cards at the first Cub-Sox game will more than make up for the sucktastic season on the horizon.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That Baseball America article confirmed what I was very worried about Epstein. Something like the sum total of the free agents on Boston's roster this year was $67 million in salary, 2.2 WAR. That's beyond hideous.

So the question is: Can he replicate his drafting and development successes in Chicago? That's where Boston's success has come in recent years. But while the free agents are definitely his doing, the farm system he has to share credit with an entire organization.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Like I said: If he was half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be smart.

Can't see him leaving exalted ruler status in Boston, but if he does the world will finally see how overrated he really is.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Actually, I wasn't the first to think of all the what-ifs, courtesy of Mr. Jones:

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/feature/rangers-fan-dies-6060909

I just think of it as, Hamilton could have been on three other teams that day. But he wasn't. So many decisions led up to that point, by Hamilton, by quite a few baseball executives, and sadly, by the fan as well.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'd like to thank Kirk Gibson for pitching to Prince Fielder with a man on second, two outs and first base open. Way to go , Manager of the Year!

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Bubbler, I was just coming here to comment on that!! I don't live too far from Milwaukee and the NLDS tix were quite reasonable, so I came over here for a few days and went to Game 1 (and I am going to Game 2 today)...

All I could think was WHY? Why would you pitch to Prince Fielder... with first base open... in MILLER PARK? I'd ask the same question almost anywhere, but Prince knows where to hit it. That was the ballgame right there. Fielder doesn't hit that homer, it's still 2-0 and Arizona has a chance to come back.

This Milwaukee team could go a long way. And yes, I say that being a Cardinals fan. (Albeit one who realistically knows the Cards will get stomped on by mighty Philly.)

10. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

For as bad as the Fielder decision was, I thought Gibson pitching to Lucroy with the pitcher on deck was worse (Lucroy drove in a run).

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That's all you need to look at. He's not even very good at spending other people's wads of cash. And he has made plenty of bad signings in almost 10 years. Could you imagine what Andrew Friedman could do in Chicago or Boston?

Showalter was right. Only wish somebody had said it far sooner.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Couple thoughts from today's Yankees game:

Gardner slid head first into first base earlier, and was beaten to the bag by both the ball and the pitcher. Always the wrong move? The way he dove, I don't see how it could have slowed him down, and I think he did it as much to avoid contact with the pitched who was covering.

On the same play, Cabrera ranged way to far and the out was made 4-1. Guess he didn't learn anything from the near perfect game.

A-Rod is painfully slow down the line to first.

Garcia's looked great. 62 pitches through 5. No walk. But, a cheapo HR in the first has him down 2-0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.