1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011 Baseball Thread, Vol. I: Dedicated to spnited

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

One more win and the Tigers beat the Yankees with Verlander posting a 5.00 for the series.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There is too much bullshit on the screen.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Girardi blames umps for the strike zone, and then when asked if it was tight on both sides, he says "I don't necessarily look at Verlander's pitches, I look at our guy's pitches." Huh?

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It was tight on both sides.

I'll pose this question for discussion: Should the Yankees have started Burnett against Verlander, take their lumps and then come back with Sabathia in game 4 to try to even it up?

I've heard a couple Yankee fans ponder this.

5. LongTimeListener

But they did enough to beat Verlander. No, you can't punt in a five-game series.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

No. If they were thinking just give up against Verlander then start Colon. At least he would leave it all out there. Actually i can't figure out why Burnett is starting instead of Colon in Game 4. Probably because Girardi won't hesitate to pull him in the 1st or 2nd inning when he gives up 4 runs.

7. LongTimeListener

Mike Rosenberg, Freep, tweets:

@Rosenberg_Mike A.J. Burnett: "I've been proving people wrong my whole career." But enough about Brian Cashman.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

He's just a raving asshole--as noted earlier this season, the LaRussa of the east. Except without the chops.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

How many innings did Jeter end tonight? Seemed like at least two. Maybe three.

10. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I know he hasn't blown a save, but I don't know how Tiger fans can stomach watching Jose Valverde. Looking at the numbers, he isn't nearly as good as his ERA.

BABIP of .247 this season, and his xFIP is 4.01 (compared to a 2.84 ERA).

Don't know why Leyland used him with that six-run lead Sunday. Now should he pitch Tuesday, that will be his third day in a row (while throwing a lot of pitches the first two).

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

xFIP?

I'm wayyyyy too much of a dumbass to follow or understand baseball anymore.

xFIP?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think, Moddy, those two acronyms are nerdspeak for "getting hit harder than last year" and "creating more jams for himself." We use the abuse of acronyms, rightly, as a symbol of governmental and business insanity. Why don't we apply the same standard to baseball?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.