1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011 Baseball Thread, Vol. I: Dedicated to spnited

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My head hurts. I think I'll go extrapolate some aspirin and try to get some work done. I'm going to xFup some pages.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Remember sitting in a AA press box once, listening to the official scorer describe the ORJ (Optimal Relief Job): You come in with the bases loaded, allow all three runners to score, but none of the batters you face makes it home. That means those whom you relieved get an ERA hit, but your ERA stays pristine.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The thing that is aggravating about xFIP is it is used almost exclusively to justify that a guy has had bad luck. It isn't applied toward much else than that. It seems they become so obsessed with luck (or lack thereof) that things get cooked up to explain it.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I would start Hughes. Starting Burnett is like Torre going to Weaver in extra innings. The odds are against them to begin with (once they lost game 2, I didn't think they were going to win the series), pitching Burnett is hitching your whole season to a lottery ticket.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I agree ... if the thinking is that you have Hughes to go in for long relief in case A.J. implodes, why not just start Hughes in the first place and hopefully avoid getting into a big hole? If Hughes pitched poorly, you could go to Colon. The fact that Burnett will go to the mound with anything other than a 10-run deficit is simple stubbornness on Cashman's part. I can't imagine Girardi, or anyone who has eyes, believes this is a good idea.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In two playoff series against Detroit, A-Rod is 1 for 24. I wonder if Girardi will drop him to eighth tonight as Torre did in 2006.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Astros outfielder Jordan Schafer arrested for felony possession of marijuana.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/ml/houston-astros-outfielder-arrested-in-tampa-on-marijuana-charge/1195128

Allegedly carrying 25 grams of dope.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, I agree starting Sabathia was the right move for the Yankees. Game 3 could have very easily gone the other way.

I just thought it was interesting discussion fodder that I read from a couple Yankee fans on facebook.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My rule on saber stats is simple.

If it measures something that is, I embrace it.

If it measures something that could be, it's bullshit.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So yes to HR/FB%, but no to interpreting it?

11. Herbert Anchovy

If Hellickson sends them to Game 5 you can just give him the RoY tomorrow.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Voting is for the regular season only. Game 5 will have no effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.