1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Judge has no effect on Harper. By then you can put one in left (Gardner is under contract next year and then has a 2M buyout for 2019, when he is going to enter the season at 35. What perfect timing) or put Judge at DH considering his size.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It's to the point that they should investigate changing the rule to the moment a player touches a base safely with a slide, it's as if time was called.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sorry but I don't see the problem.

If you need to make sure you maintain constant contact, stop cleanly on the base and don't slide.

If you can't do that, don't take the base. There's no "but I wanted to get there faster so I did a thing that made me not be able to stay on the base" exception

cranberry likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Could this have been declared a "neighborhood" play, which was exempt from review?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know, Rick. That seems kind of question-begging, doesn't it?

My instinct is that you are probably right, but your reasoning that they should make sure they stay on the base seems to be that they should make sure they stay on the base.

It's like (hyperbole alert) tossing people in prison for life for speeding and then saying, "It's fair. Don't speed and you wouldn't have to worry about it."

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They have created a new and entirely unnecessary rule because of replay. In addition you probably have guys pushing runners off bases without getting caught.

It has made the game worse.

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Fareed couldn't link a video clip instead of a misleading photo?

8. LongTimeListener

What's misleading about it? The guy was out on a play that wasn't even contested at the bag. That's the whole point.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Wait, the umps called the guy out right off, right? Why is replay on the hook here?

10. LongTimeListener

Before replay, that wasn't even a call umps were looking for. Replay has created the entire situation.

11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

OK. That happens. Players need to adjust.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

OK, I wondered if that was it.

Draft saved Draft deleted