1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The Ballpark in Arlington is already being replaced and the new stadium is supposed to have a 'classic look' even though it will have a retractable roof.

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

My Mets just used it to their advantage--so this isn't sour grapes--but it is pretty ridiculous you can use the auto intentional walk in the middle of an at bat. Sort of saps some of the excitement out of the game when you don't have to pitch on a full count.

3. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

They must really suck if they won't take the chance on a 3-2 count.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Skydome and New Comiskey are anomalies in the history of ballparks. They were built in that small sliver of time when the multipurpose era was ending, but before the retro era began. I remember them touting Comiskey as state of the art when it opened (IIRC it might have been the first new MLB or NFL stadium built in a decade or more), and within another 10 years it was considered outdated.
    Skydome was the first with the retractable roof and it blew our freaking minds. By the end of the 90s they were slapping them on stadiums just for the hell of it and an extra $250 million.
    Amazing how big a difference even five years makes.

5. cisforkoke

The stadium in St. Petersburg sucks. MLB should force the Rays to move to the old Atlanta stadium. They could play two games in Atlanta at the same time.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The Diamondbacks' uniforms look like a Triple-A squad every single year.

dixiehack likes this.
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Right after I read this my wife said "Those uniforms look like something you would see in Single A."

dixiehack and bigpern23 like this.
  8. cisforkoke

Great Yankees-Cardinals game. Maybe I am just on a good blend of cookies, but this baseball season has been very entertaining.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The only state-of-the-art thing I recall about "new Comiskey" was getting to your upper-deck seat felt as if you were climbing a mountain. They have rectified that somewhat.

Oh, and don't forget to use the proper name ... "Guaranteed Rate Field." Yuck!

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I honestly couldn't remember the new name.
    And maybe it was the idea that anything new is great for a little while, but it was the bee's knees for about a year until Camden Yards opened the following season and stole its thunder.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

If you stay on the ground floor, Comiskey is actually a great park in which to watch a game.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I went to an A's-Rangers game the last year of the old stadium in Arlington. Was nothing special, but the locals there thought the place was the Taj-Mahal, and good for them. I think that's the way with many local fans.

Draft saved Draft deleted