1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Really? He always had Rob Deer written all over him.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ideally, because he has become known as a great defensive catcher. Not my judgment, but by whatever measures they use to judge catchers these days, he's at or near the top. But his first-half/second-half splits have gotten very ugly in the last couple of years.

Posey is third in the NL in batting average and ninth in OPS, with seven home runs. (And with all of that, and batting cleanup, he has 12 RBIs. That's tough to do.) He is now and always has been a much better power hitter than Mauer ever was. His numbers are likely to drop quite a bit as the catching wear-and-tear roll on this season. Give him the physical break, though, and he'd be one of the best bats in the NL regardless of position.

3. LongTimeListener

This is ridiculous.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He's high on the list of what if?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do you realize Albert Pujols could hit his 600th home run today? Imagine how much the sports world would be buzzing about that 20 years ago.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

I'm sure Pujols has looked back on that and remembered how he felt watching his idols while just a fresh-faced 23-year-old high school student.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Guy slashed .333/.429/.613 in the minors with 34 HRs and 100 RBI in what amounts to a full MLB season's worth of games while striking out in about 20 percent of his PAs. He then smashed 16 HRs, drove in 43 runs and slashed .246/.355/.487 while maintaining a similar strikeout rate during 1/3 of a season as a rookie. At catcher.

Small sample size, of course, but I'm not seeing the Deer comparison.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'll bite. Just looking at it quickly, his .979 OPS would be fourth among starting 1Bs, his .449 would be second, his .351 BA would be second, his seven HRs would be 21st, his 1.78 BB:K ratio would be tops.

How is he not a top 20 first baseman if he were starting there on a daily basis?

EDIT: Just realized you may be going the other way and arguing he's a top 5 or top 10 1b?

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think LTL means he's more of a top 5-10 first baseman.

10. LongTimeListener

Top 20? Like, one of the 20 best first baseman?

I think you mean top five.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Aaron Judge and Andrew Benintendi, too.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Injuries. The concussion.

And now he needs to adjust his approach at the plate.

Draft saved Draft deleted