1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Gotcha, OK, understood. Yep, you're right, he's probably top 5, maybe just outside that group. I made the mistake of looking at the list of first basemen on a fantasy page, which included everyone who has played at least 5 games at 1B, not a list of every team's main starting first baseman.

Nonetheless, his value is clearly higher at C - where the drop-off in talent is massive - than it is at 1B, which was the point I failed miserably to make.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I agree there. But it feels like they're taking years off his lifespan as an elite hitter by leaving him at catcher.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The Angels scored 9 runs in the third inning last night in what was probably the worst display of defense by the Braves that I have ever seen in an organized baseball game. And, yes, I am including Little League. The Angels hit six balls that should have been outs and weren't. Because they are allowed three outs by baseball rules, the Angels were given nine outs that inning. They did get a Pujols homer and a couple of other hits. Only 2 of the runs were earned.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Therein lies the rub, I suppose. But then again, Yadier Molina has an OPS like 280 points lower than Posey and he's still a top-5ish catcher.

If the Giants intend to move him to 1B eventually, it's probably best to do it sooner than later. Once his legs go, there's no getting them back.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And that seems to be part of what happened to Mauer. Sure, 2009 was an outlier, but he was still an outstanding hitter early in his career.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Mauer suffered concussions as well, affected him for years.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The way these Giants can't hit, 12 RBIs is a miracle.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Get ready for the Hawk farewell tour:

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He gonna be gone.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Also true.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

@Dick Whitman weeps ...