1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2022-23 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, May 6, 2022.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

LSU outplayed Iowa and certainly deserved to win.

That being said, the refs had a huge impact on how the game was played, and were totally inconsistent calling fouls against both teams.

Too bad, because it tarnished an unbelievable shooting night by the Tigers. And pretty much derailed Iowa’s third-quarter comeback attempt.

sgreenwell and exmediahack like this.
  2. I Should Coco

Now from an Iowa fan’s perspective: I enjoyed the hell out of this run.

Clark showed herself to be the best player in the country, and every one of Iowa’s starting five played an important role in their run through the B1G tournament and to the NCAA finals.

A history making group, and I’m glad I got to see them play in Seattle.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

LSU was just tougher and no surprise. Better coach and tougher players. Iowa puts up a lot of points but they’re like the men’s team in a lot of ways. Finesse except the women’s coach has gotten a pass forever because of how nice she is to their media. LOTS of early exits.

5. I Should Coco

Iowa’s women remind me a lot of the Gonzaga men’s team — an offense-oriented team that needs to shoot well and outrun more physical teams.

Just like GU seemed out of gas after two tremendous battles to beat UCLA (in 2021 and this year), overcoming the physical size and strength of South Carolina took a lot out of the Hawkeyes.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

jr/shotglass likes this.
  7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

When your coach is a c-word, cant be surprised the players follow suit.

Cosmo likes this.
  8. I Should Coco

Of all the upsetting things in today’s game, that’s last on my list.

Caitlin Clark has been known to get a bit jacked up and talk a little trash herself, and that’s OK. She and Reese don’t become great players and team leaders by being timid or quiet. Just like the men, these are ultra-competitive people.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Exactly. Angry white twitter is exploding right now because Reese made a gesture that Clark made earlier in the tournament. Clark is, by all accounts, a grade-A shit talker. Sometimes that has a cost.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We just disagree; it's a team thing and that's great. I simply don't think should be flaunted at the other team. I don't remember Breanna Stewart doing that kind of nonsense and she's just as competitive as anyone. With four rings to boot, I think. But, no big deal I guess in the big picture.

I don't remember Clark making a similar ring gesture in this tournament. She did tell a Louisville player to STFU for still chirping down 15 points.

Apparently LSU wasn't on the court for the anthem, either. Not sure what's up with that, it's just not a good look.

11. I Should Coco

And to her credit, Clark stood there and took it from Reese.

Ironically, for all the animated reactions and arguing about calls Clark did in this tournament, she got T’d up on a call when she never opened her mouth. But enough about the refs …

BurnsWhenIPee and PCLoadLetter like this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Paging @BTExpress to the orange and white courtesy phone.

Draft saved Draft deleted