1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2022-23 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, May 6, 2022.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, for goodness sakes! Is this a real controversy, or just the usual take bullshit? As far as taunting goes, this is all pretty weak tea. I believe Larry Bird and Michael Jordan agree with me.

I Should Coco and da man like this.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hailey Van Lith had a nasty little run-in in Austin with a Texas player in the postgame greeting line after Louisville beat the Longhorns. Pretty much ignored the Texas player after a less-than-classy move.

I saw what Clark did against Louisville. Still doesn't justify how Angel Reese handled herself in the waning seconds against Clark. Clark wasn't – and isn't – perfect, but it didn't justify Reese's actions.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

See post above yours. This is all eye-rolling who-gives-a-shit stuff. Clark’s a big girl who dishes it out. I’m sure she can take it.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Talking during the game is one thing. I don't remember Magic or Bird doing the ring thing after the decisive games of their series. Their smack talk was limited to the game, IIRC.

Do you think all this nonsense is a step forward in sporting competition? Give me the handshake line after a Stanley Cup series all day long. But like I said, I'm an old guy shaking his fist at the clouds.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes, you are.

FileNotFound and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. micropolitan guy

And I freely admit it. No big deal. Doesn't mean I'm wrong. It was a bad look; not everything new or fresh or hot is better than what was.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I can appreciate creative trash talk. I’m less enamored with trash gestures, especially when everybody uses the same stuff. Like for some reason, the “too small” gesture that is everywhere now. Get some fresh material and get off my lawn!

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The "U Can't See Me" during the free throws was excellent. She gave Clark's shit back to her and Clark had no choice but to take a big bite.

That Reese continued to look for her outside the course of play was definitely a bit extra (Kobe, tell me how my ass taste!), and looked doubly bad when packaged with the behavior of Reese's head coach throughout the contest.

I'm trying to imagine Clark doing the same and it's very hard to do that not because Clark is a virtuous fair-skinned maiden who talks shit the right way dadgummit but because it would look so...damn...bad. The YAASSS QUEEN TALK YOUR SHIT AND DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT IF YOU FEEL OTHERWISE pieces would be rightfully inverted with the quickness to tweets/columns having the gravity of Jupiter.

Iowa and Clark became the darlings of the tournament and LSU, its detestable coach, and the Keystone Refs denied them. Anyone not pulling for LSU was very salty going into the final minutes and Reese became the target for that salinity.

Now we can get angry about pitch clocks.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

When the shit talk reaches a level that a fight breaks out after a title game, regardless of gender, we'll see what everyone's opinion is.

10. micropolitan guy

If someone from Iowa would have trucked Mulkey while she was standing on the court, like many here (including me) wanted, that just might have happened.

Wonder if the Memphis player sucker-punching the Bowling Green player in the face will make the women's version of "One Shining Moment?"

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

"Moses (Malone) does eat shit" -- Larry Bird, from the speaker's podium at Government Center plaza at the end of the victory parade for the Celtics' 1981 title, two days after the final game.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Fixed
    And Mulkey does need trucked. You wanna' be the college basketball version of Bobby "the Brain" Heenan? Cool. You'll be treated as such.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted