1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2022-23 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, May 6, 2022.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

With the advent of NIL money, how many of the top players take a pay cut when they move to the WNBA? Does endorsement money after turning pro make up the slack?

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Send her puffy suits flying ass over tea kettle.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The women used to do ok in Russia. :(

I thought Mulkey deserved a T or two - not so much for stepping all over the court - but for the outfit.

I also saw longtime women's basketball booster Clay Travis wade into the discourse. Pretty disgusting. I guess stoking racial fires > SEC ties for him these days. I also wonder if the discourse over the game isn't more sexist than it is race related. These women have been playing hoops their whole lives, and play the way NBA players do, with a lot of emotion and trash talk - when Bird, Jordan or Steph Curry are demonstrative - they are labeled "competitors" when women do it its "classless?"

Seriously, I have no problem with the players wearing make-up, the eyelashes, the coaches clothes - more attention the better. The women's game is more exciting today because players and coaches give about as much time caring what others think - as the men have for decades.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'm sure Bird now considers that one of the highlight moments of his career.

Again, maybe I missed it but I don't remember Jordan doing the ring thing up in Byron Russell's face after making the series-winning shot. Or shit-talking Craig Ehlo after same.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tennessee's best player, a projected No. 4 WNBA draft pick, is coming back. Can't imagine why she would if not for the NIL. Then again, Aliyah Boston (likely No. 1 overall) is leaving school.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

So is Liz Kitley for Virginia Tech. She's a projected top-8 pick. Don't think the Hokies are going anywhere, with Kitley, Amoore and King all back.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Can all of us who just jumped into women's hoops in the last couple of weeks assume that players have been hearing about Clark for months and wanted to give as good as they'd been getting from her for a while? Clark didn't have a problem with it.

da man likes this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Whoever thought we'd have this much fuss over women's basketball? For the ladies, it's their one shining moment.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In other news, Holly Rowe probably also thinks the officials did a great job!

Hate that term, "unapologetically confident." It basically says there is no limit to how inappropriately I can behave.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ordinarily I’d expect a gigantic marketing blitz for Clark next season, but with the Mouse losing all Big 10 rights, that kind of leaves a void. I know Fox does some one-off women’s games (and I can virtually guarantee Iowa-UConn will be a non-conference matchup next winter.) But I think she may get lost in the shuffle until next March.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You gotta put some respect on my name!

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How many FAU guys will be NIL'd away to major programs?

Draft saved Draft deleted