1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2022-23 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, May 6, 2022.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

THEY'RE ALL UNAPOLOGETICALLY OUTSTANDING GET USED TO IT

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

So many dumb-ass detours as folks drive Thelma & Louise-style into hot take land.

Just one? There's nothing particularly noteworthy about trash talk. It's been a part of almost every game for time immemorial. There's no need to scream, "Nurse! The screens!" about it. It is what it is, just part of heightened competitive nature, for good or ill.

It's also not noble or very classy, no matter the context, who's doing it, etc. I've done my share of trash talk over the years and had it talked to me. It feels good in the moment, but it's not something you walk away from doing with a lot of pride if you're being truly honest about it. Nor is it some sign of heightened "competitive nature". What a load of unprovable bullshit.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Giguere winning the Conn Smythe during the 2003 Stanley Cup Final even though the Devils won the series immediately comes to mind for me.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Bobby Richardson of the Yankees was the Series MVP when they lost to the Pirates and Bill Mazeroski in 1960, the only time that happened in MLB.

5. mpcincal

So, some asshole radio guy from New York has suddenly appointed himself the gatekeeper for San Diego-area sports fandom, railing against fans who decided to go to the Padres game and watch the basketball game at Petco.

Apparently, he doesn't have a problem with people who watched the game in a Gaslamp Quarter bar a block or two away, but oooh! attend another sporting event that's actually in town and started right after the Aztecs game ended, well, you're a fake fan. :rolleyes:

Wow, I didn't know there were unwritten laws for fans.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's interesting.

Richardson hit .367 with 11 runs scored, a home run, a walk and 12 RBI. Slugged .667, on-base percentage was .387 and OPS was 1.054.

Mantle hit .400 with 10 runs scored, three home runs, eight walks and 11 RBI. Slugged .800, on-base percentage was .545 and OPS was 1.345.

7. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

Sorry in advance if this has been pointed out (and I didn't double-check to confirm it, but it sounds right). Of the 102 points LSU scored yesterday, 90 were by players who played at other colleges last season. If true, that is the most 2023-iest statistic ever.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Or, you know, realize it’s 2023 and you can watch your local team’s semifinal game (one that definitely wasn’t on the agenda when you purchased the Padres tickets) on your phone and enjoy both at the same time.

HanSenSE, I Should Coco and mpcincal like this.
  9. mpcincal

Exactly. And every ballpark now has some watering holes with big screens at the ready.

I actually googled Morash and found this little gem (it might have been discussed elsewhere on the board; I don't remember):

Sports Radio Dude Poops His Pants On Air, Shows Off The Mess

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

This is a very broad comment not directed at Bubs (I save my venom for him if he ever disrespects hair metal :D) re: the post-WBB title game discourse on Twitter, and it will come as ironic to anyone who knows me here or elsewhere: Not everyone has to have a take on everything. We can all sit one out now and then. Something happened, people are mad online about it, we'll all be on to something else by tonight. Rinse, wash, repeat. No need to FOMO ourselves into a lather every time.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Akeem (before he was Hakeem) was MOP in ‘83. Bill Bradley (1965) and Art Heyman (1963) won it without even making it to the championship game (Bradley scored a then-tournament-record 58 in the consolation game, Heyman went for 29 and 12 in a semifinal loss to eventual champion Loyola).

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

How many here have actually witnessed a FF Consolation Game in person?

Draft saved Draft deleted