1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2022-23 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, May 6, 2022.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

YAAAASSS QUEEN

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

There's a lot of Bird-Magic energy between these two. This could take WNBA basketball to another level.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I can see someone being their "genuine self" - not putting on airs (cough, Russell Wilson, Phil Mickelson) for the media - but anytime you see media people acting as pro bono PR reps for players - its a bad look.

And it isn't like a lot of white writers weren't doing the same thing for Caitlin Clark.

But I do agree, its good for the game. The trash-talking, the vitriol - not so much the journos who STILL want to treat female athletes with kid gloves.

4. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I swore I wasn't going to comment on this thread
    but I've succumbed.

I read Shaq says Angel Reese is the best athlete to ever come out of LSU.

At first, I guffawed (that's LOL for those born after 1980) and thought no way. What about Pistol Pete, Joe Burrow, Kevin Faulk, Billy Cannon. Shaq himself.

Then I thought: It's Shaq who am I to argue.
    Then I thought: It's Shaq - crazy theories and comments Shaq.

He might be right. She was one of the top high school players, all-Big Ten, All-American, national champion, most outstanding player in the Final Four, most double-doubles in an NCAA season.

Is Shaq right?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No. She might not even be the best women's basketball player. Seimone Augustus has a freaking statue outside of the PMAC. Sylvia Fowles is a WNBA legend, has four Olympic gold medals and will probably wind up in the Basketball Hall of Fame when she's done playing.
    Even if you want to talk pure athleticism there are several world class track athletes like Lolo Jones and Armand Duplantis that LSU claims.
    If you want to talk about beloved, I couldn't even tell you where she ranks on the list behind some of the people you mentioned and a few others you didn't (like Warren Morris).
    Reese is certainly carving out a revered (or at least memorable, if she can dial down the crazy a little bit) place in school history, and 10 years from now we can check back on this. But right now there are at least a dozen LSU athletes who are well ahead of her on that list.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Seimone Augustus and Ben McDonald ain’t chopped liver.

Batman likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

She was the MOP of the Final Four because her team won. Clark was the MOP of the Final Four, even though she didn't win the award.

I heard some guy named Gavin Grey was pretty good at LSU.

Wasn't Bob Pettit an LSU guy?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  8. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I also agree she is not the best and chalk it up to Shaq's quirkiness. Maybe he was talking potential.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Couple Heisman winners might wanna throw their hat in the ring

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m not going to argue with a man who crafted the greatest studio moment in sports history.

11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted