1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Customers DO ultimately decide things, as they should.

I expect everyone will fall in line because bracket pools are cool and everything, but the customers have a right to decide, "I don't enjoy seeing my team's entire roster turn over every season (FOR ANY REASON), so fuck this. I've had it." Doesn't make them bad just because they don't feel as entertained and decide to take their time and money elsewhere. A sport is always making tweaks here and there. But when you upend the whole apple cart at once, it may not go over all that well with everyone.

Batman likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I would think that NIL money would eventually be to some extent affected by the length of players' tenure at a particular school -- something of a sliding wage scale.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wait.. Football fans IN THE STATE OF ALABAMA have backward-ass, neanderthal views on this? Well color me shocked as hell!

4. poindexter

And to those folks...
    [​IMG]

The couple dozen young men who got shitcanned when Coach Prime strolled into Boulder last year took it a whole lot better than the complaining I see on this board.

5. poindexter

Considering that the citizens of the great state of Alabama have been on the wrong side of history on just about everything for the past 200 years in this country, the fact that UAB football fans are pissed that the players now have some leverage, confirms which is the right side.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

And on about seven of ten other things, as well. Goes with the territory.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Still waiting for that one transfer to way "They have a better program on my major."

I'll take my answer off the air.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Whenever a recruit does the pick a hat press conference, I always wish some reporter would ask them what they are planning on majoring in.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The pick the hat news conference should be banned -- the athlete should forfeit a year of eligibility, if they or any of their representatives make any reference, verbally or with "props," to any institution other than the one with which they are signing.

The entire purpose of the pick the hat charade is to taunt the "losing" schools.

The NCAA should have squashed it 40 years ago when people started doing it (and when they had the authority to do so).

FileNotFound and Baron Scicluna like this.
  10. HanSenSE

When I was still on the business, not only made a practice of that, plus what they wanted to do, asked my reporters to do the same. One, a high jumper who went to UCLA, was honest enough to say, "Kniesiology, but I want to go to the Olympics."

11. John

John Well-Known Member

When it comes to a high jumper (and most track and swimming competitors), you're probably not going to make a ton of money unless you're a Bolt or Ledecky. They certainly are going to need to work once they retire.

12. HanSenSE

Truer pre-NIL than today. Out of curiosity, Googled him. Transferred to Minnesota for his senior year and was an applied mathematics major. After that? I keep an eye out during Olympic trials.

Draft saved Draft deleted