1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

What was live attendance compared to past years? The only place in the Pac-12 that regularly filled its building this year was Arizona. Otherwise there were tons of empty seats, even courtside, at almost every game I watched on TV.

What were regular-season TV ratings, other than games that did not involve Caitlin Clark?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

franticscribe and Liut like this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hmm. I am sitting here wracking my brain, and I cannot think of any reason that attendance would be down across the board in the Pac 12 this year. Nope.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The fact the conference is breaking up should have had little or no impact on attendance this year. Football attendance was solid throughout the league.

And I was talking nationwide, not just one conference.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

He's in an interesting position with the covid bonus year giving him a chance to become the first (and likely only) 5x Division I champion. But this article and many others I've seen keeps referring to him potentially becoming the "first five-time NCAA wrestling champion," which is untrue.

Carlton Haselrig won six NCAA titles back in the era when the DII and DIII champions were allowed to enter the DI tournament. His story would make an awesome sports movie. Was a Pennsylvania state champ in high school despite his school not having a wrestling team. He was asked by a nearby school to come be a practice partner for their heavyweight, then his school petitions for him to be allowed to wrestle in the state tournament. So his only high school wrestling experience is the state tournament itself his senior year. He accepted a football scholarship to Lock Haven, but got injured and transferred to Pitt-Johnstown where he took third in the DII tournament as a freshman and then won both the DII and DI tournaments his sophomore, junior and senior years. He went 15-0 against D1 wrestlers, all in the tournaments.

Anyway, I suppose I'm going to have a year or so of being driven crazy reading news reports about Starocci with that factually inaccurate nugget in them.

Last edited: May 2, 2024
    poindexter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted