1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'll go a step further. When did they subtly change the rules so that schools can run boxscores of these "exhibitions," etc.? I mean, it's really the same as a real game.

2. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

They've been allowed for charity for a few years now. Purdue also played down at Arkansas and Kansas at Illinois this weekend too. I think all of them, plus Michigan State-Tennessee, were to raise money for Maui.

What's different is that they're televised, which they were not in the past.

What they should do is rather than schedule Division II or NAIA schools (which I got/still get to watch this week, much to my boredom) is have two exhibitions. In one? You play a peer school, Power Six vs. Power Six, etc. Made-for-TV shit. In the other, you play a D-I school in your own state or a bordering state. Two-year, home-and-away contracts to throw mid-majors a bone and for them to make some gate. Split the gate 65-35 for the home team.

Anything's better than the uber-asinine secret scrimmages. Not only are they anti-fan, but anti-bottom line, a paranoid coach and NCAA dream of a sort where they can do their thing in a vacuum.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Yet that 80-year-old tight end who gets hurt every season just got his eligibility extended to infinity.

This is why the NCAA sucks. How is this kid not eligible:

2018-19 ruled ineligible
    2019-20 plays, gets it back due to COVID
    2020-21 plays
    2021-22 plays
    2022-23 plays

At the very least this should be his last year, because if is ineligible year counts, he still gets a COVID year

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The issue is that he started late. He graduated high school in 2016. Took 2016-17 off. Played for a post grad prep academy in 2017-18. It's never been publicly clear why, but the NCAA decided somewhere in those two years he started his eligibility clock and lost a year of eligibility.

I remember when he was first announced as a recruit at Evansville, there was a question about how many years he would be able to play.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Technically 20-21 academic year is the Covid freebie, but same logic applies.

7. Della9250

I thought it was 19-20 for basketball players because the NCAA Tournament got cancelled and that was the make-good compromise but that stuff all rolls together

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No, if you were a senior basketball player in spring 2020, your career had a cruel ending. 20-21 was the free pass because especially at the beginning, they wanted to encourage players to take a chance on playing the delayed, protocol-heavy Covid year and not worry they were wasting a year of eligibility if the whole shebang had to be called off midway through.

EDIT: There’s a chance it might be both. I seem to remember Wisconsin in particular shooing athletes out the door who wanted to use a bonus year. More research than I’m up for on moving weekend. But I think you only get to count one bonus year out of the two opportunities.

9. Della9250

But then how are guys who go pro in baseball allowed to come back and play football, or guys do Mormon missions? I don't see how your clock starts if you aren't enrolled somewhere

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Like I said, it's never been publicly clear why the NCAA decided his clock started. Maybe I shouldn't have said because he started late. It's that something happened in those two years after high school that triggered his clock. My assumption has always been that he enrolled somewhere. The application for this extra year of eligibility cited "academic misadvisement" during those two years as the reason for the request. Your clock normally starts when you enroll somewhere.

Mormons can enroll and come back, as well as people in military service, because there are specific exceptions for religious and military service.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There has to be a school in the National Association for Ineligible Athletes that can save his dumb ass.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Norris Coleman doesn’t see what the problem is.

Draft saved Draft deleted