1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

So I go to the TV schedule for today’s games……CBS has SD ST @ New Mexico at 1:00 (cst) while a top-10 game (OU @ KU) is relegated to the frickin Big 12 Network.
    That’s just bizarre to me why CBS wouldn’t pick that game up.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Mike White, left in the Goodwill bin by the University of Florida, has UGA 2-0 in the SEC and leading No. 5 Tennessee in the second half.

franticscribe likes this.
  3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the Big 12 TV contract does not include CBS.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They seem to be shuffling a bunch of Big 12 games to ESPN+. So maybe they have the TV contract and are pushing subscriptions?

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Betting the MW's contract with CBS calls for a certain number of games on the network as well as CBSSN. The Aztecs were a Final Four team last season.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Kentucky and A&M going to overtime. Of note, UK had a shot blocked in the first half it rebounded and would have almost certainly put back for an uncontested layup before they got the bucket on a goaltending call. But the officials reversed the call at the next media timeout. No recourse.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

On the same play in today's Kentucky-ATM game, I saw two things I had never seen.
    The sequence begins with a dunk attempt that goes halfway down but not all the way through the basket. "A quirk of physics," Jay Bilas calls it. The net gets tangled as a result.
    ATM gets the rebound and passes the ball out. Seconds later, an ATM player attempts a 3-pointer that passes through the rim but gets caught in the still-tangled net. I have never the ball get caught in the net on a shot beyond layup distance before.
    The shot doesn't count because the shooter was called for throwing his legs out intentionally and excessively and into the body of the defender. So an offensive foul other than a charge or a push-off negates a 3-pointer.
    That's a new one for me as well.
    Same play.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I’m not at all hating on student journalists because I teach student journalists - not at A&M - and we all have to learn somewhere, but this story from the Texas A&M Battalion student paper does not mention the final score. There are other problems with the story, but that’s the biggest.

https://thebatt.com/107370/sports/a...wb02H-zWH5ESdUV-Bs3EQnzfEAssIrbgvu6oVp_cV3CbE

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

How’d it turn out for him?

BTExpress and dixiehack like this.
  10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I also assume when the schedule was made before the season, a game against the projected no 12 team IN THE Big 12, was waaay down the list. If you can only get Kansas X number of times, I don’t think major networks wanted to waste picking that over other matchups

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

During my many years of dealing with stringers, part-timers, rookies coming out of college, many of whom were trying to be artistic and literary, and many others who were just clueless, I found it necessary to institute the ironclad rule:

The first score reference included in any game story must always be the final score of the game under discussion. And it should appear in the first three paragraphs. Period.

If then you want to go back and talk about what the score was with 6 minutes left, the score after Joe Schmoe hit a driving dunk and converted the free throw with 34.4 seconds left, the score when the two teams met three months ago, the score between the Providence Steam Roller and the Frankfort Yellow Jackets in 1934, that's up to you. Knock yourself out. But the first score in any game story should be the final score of the game.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Over the years I had a number of people who:

1) Would simply recap the game basket by basket (or touchdown by touchdown, etc.) ending of course with the final score as the last line of the story.

2) Would seize upon some sequence they considered the turning point in the game, then describe it in great detail without actually including the final score. This was usually done to show off their technical knowledge of the game.

3) Would assume everybody already knew the final score-- either they were at the game or heard it on radio, etc etc. In a variation of this, their game stories would essentially be the box score written out in paragraph form.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted