1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I have read a couple of stories about this, and none of them has said exactly how many healthy scholarship players they have. I'm wondering if it's that virus that never existed but from which Trump saved us by coming up with the vaccine. Another possibility: The coach is a jerk and the players are refusing to play for him but can't say so.

2. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

According to the Fort Worth newspaper, TCU had a few players get injured during a practice this week and that brought them down to six scholarship players. I doubt it's grades since classes at TCU started this week. I also doubt it's a mutiny because TCU just hired a new coach.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

They had nine healthy players that played in Saturday's game.

They announced one of the girls got hurt since then in practice and needs season-ending surgery.

So I guess at most they have eight healthy, pending these other practice injuries.

I also don't want to hear abou healthy "scholarship players" because you got 15 at your disposal. Nine of them aren't injured. They may be "injured" or redshirting but that's a you problem not an availbility problem. Play the walkons if needed.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Detroit (none of that Detroit Mercy nonsense) lost in 2OT @ Robert Morris tonight.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And VMI lost by 40 at home to Furman. Jeez.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

He needs to learn. The ACC's "reprimand" is a joke. Supposedly, Kevin Keatts and Co. got on him about it immediately after the game.

The game was ... interesting. Keatts got tossed in the first half. Watched the postgame presser online. Keatts was fully expecting to get T'd up because he was on the floor – the official, IMO and in the opinion of at least some others who don't wear red, whiffed on the call – but he also seems to be bucking for the Dick Paparo/Karl Hess ACC showboat official slot and quickly tossed Keatts, skipping the "enough" speech during the proceedings.

Six technical fouls. Two player ejections in addition to Keatts. And DJ Horne doing his, um, thing.

Between him and Dave Doeren – telling Steve Smith to kiss him where it stinks and calling Mack Brown's players "pieces of sh_t" in their postgame celebration in the locker room – are not exactly covering the alma mater in glory. While I understand that not everyone is going to perfect, it needs to be just a little better than this.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    maumann likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Question for anyone here who knows CBB rules:

Last night late in the UCLA-ASU game, an ASU player was handed the ball to inbound on the sideline at about midcourt, near the UCLA bench. UCLA coach Mick Cronin was standing about five feet onto the court, about five feet from him. If the ASU player simply did a two-handed chest pass directly at Cronin and hit him, what's the call for a coach making contact with a live ball while he's on the court?

Technical foul, shots and possession? Might have been a smart move by the ASU player. Coaches are on the court way to much, someone should truck one of them.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

High school I'm administering a T. Don't know the college rule. I pregame with them: Stay in your coach's box. Actually a point of emphasis in NFHS this year.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Batman likes this.
  10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

It has gotten out of hand in college. I am pretty sure it is a T, but they never do anything about it. I don't really ever see warnings.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

As I've ranted on numerous occasions, it's up to opposing coaches and players to force the issue: when clowns like Mulkey and Izzo wander out 15 feet on the court during game action, just bulldoze 'em. Line 'em up and dumptruck 'em.

Let that happen just once in a nationally televised game, next morning it would be made an officiating point of emphasis: coaches stay off the court, as specified in the rules.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Pitino is the worst at peacocking himself on the court of play. He likes to show off his expensive suits, I think.

We used to yell at him all the time: "Get off the fucking court, Pitino!" He heard it, too. Still kept strutting, though.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted