1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

They had 16 at halftime, I believe I saw. Points, that is.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They were 5 of 7, and they never missed two in a row, which means no free bacon for the Tech students. Was laughing at the students booing heavily upon each made free throw.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It isn't news that will affect much, but Penn State's Mike Rhoades has booted top scorer Kanye Clary from the team. There had been talk about Clary and point guard Ace Baldwin not playing well together. And if PSU's going to be make any type of last-ditch run, it's going to be on the shoulders of Baldwin.

Penn State Men's Basketball: Kanye Clary Dismissed from Team

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ace Baldwin*

jr/shotglass likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Thank you. Fixt.

6. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Every school in the Big Ten, outside of Purdue, probably Illinois, and definitely Michigan at the opposite end of the scale, should get a No. 9 seed at the Big Ten Tournament.

Why No. 9? I don't know, it just seems apt and appropriately insulting.

It's a lot of evenly-matched flotsam. Not terrible (not you Michigan, go sit in the corner), but not good enough to escape the blob. Even the schools that are tracking for the tournament - Wisconsin, Northwestern, Michigan State, Nebraska, if it could ever figure out how to win on the road - strike me a first or second-round roadkill.

To be fair, the ACC is like this too. Even the Big 12, hailed as a cut above, is suspicious given how they gamed their non-conference schedules to take advantage of the NET, thus ensuring that every win is a quality win in-conference. To a point, the SEC did this too.

Which leads me down this road. Everyone fears the power conferences jettisoning off on their own. I don't want that to happen, but if it ever did? I would want scheduling taken out of the hands of the individual schools and done centrally to avoid the manipulation of schedules.

That won't happen, the big schools would never want to concede that advantage (see how they continue to schedule FCS schools in football), which makes a break-off less likely, at least in basketball.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

We're getting a good view of just how miserable coaches are here. Pitino has EVERYTHING...the moment he walked in the door, the AD's nuts were cut off. The president and the boosters all want to win at whatever cost necessary. Pitino is the most powerful person at a school that doesn't give two shits about anything else except being good again at MBB. And he's STILL a miserable prick.

But for the first time in his life, he's trapped. Where is he going to go if this doesn't work out, or even if it does? He's 72, miserable to work with and scorches the earth behind him every place he goes. Even if a power football school wanted him as a quick-fix, he'll never be able to handle being the second-biggest man on campus at an Ohio State or Michigan. The NBA obviously isn't an option. He needs the misery of the job and to make people around him unhappy, but for the first time in his life, there's no carrot dangling, just out of reach, promising him a better and more fruitful experience somewhere else. Gonna be interesting. I never would have guessed he might be two-and-done, and a miserable Pitino is still a better coach and recruiter than anyone else St. John's is gonna get. But if he's bitching like this again next year with another .500-ish team, anything is possible.

2muchcoffeeman and sgreenwell like this.
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

15 seconds.
    I still laugh.

9. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

First thing someone should have said to Pitino after his tone-deaf rant, "how did Florida Atlantic do it?"

The veteran coaches HATE the fact that they are no longer dictators over their sport. Where they could decide every aspect of the lives of their athletes, even to the point of controlling where they could and couldn't transfer. Where they can't treat players like shit with impunity. Where every dollar isn't being funneled their way to decide how it's spent. He bitched about his practice facility. Practice facilities? Good luck with that. All of that facility money is going to NIL now, and honestly, thank God for it.

I'm happy they're unhappy about the current state of affairs because they lived unfairly off the fat of the land for decades. They get paid way too much to bitch and moan about their lot. Adjust or GTFO.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

FileNotFound and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Per Pitino, as a manager it's perfectly acceptable to call out employees who aren't accomplishing what they have been paid for.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

He'd say: if you put this team in Conference USA we probably do the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted