1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2024 golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I do not get the argument that accomplishments after a certain age do not add to one's credentials as the best ever at a sport. Of course they do. Do we cut off Tom Brady's career at age 37 when evaluating HIM? We do not. To be at the top of a sport for a longer period of time seems to me to be an important credential.

Small Town Guy likes this.
  2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

No doubt but we make those distinctions all the time in our neverending GOAT debates. Emmitt Smith is very rarely if ever called the greatest running back ever, despite blowing away Brown, Sanders and Payton's numbers and doing more than anyone ever has as an older running back.

John Stockton did a lot more than Magic Johnson after the age of 32 and has superior career numbers across the board but no one considers him the greatest point guard ever.

Stephen King is still churning out fantastic stuff at 76, but I still got Shakespeare as my GOAT even though the pen dried up for good at 52.

So I'm comfortable putting Tiger above Jack since he was better than him through the age of 37, was equal to him from ages 41-48 but wasn't as good from ages 38-40.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Scoring in hoops is not the same as winning a major in golf. Cink winning at 40 is like Malone scoring 30 for Lakers hardly greatness.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Golfers have longer careers than basketball players. Whatever you think of Cink's major, what about Mickelson winning one at age 51?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

To the surprise of absolutely no one, Tiger Woods gets a special exemption into the U.S. Open.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I wasn't referring to Cink's Open win, but his recent win at Hilton Head (?) last year or so. (Man his Open win was such a downer because that was when Watson had the lead at 59! on 18, just needed a par to win then hit a stabby chip and made bogey.)

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

While Talor Gooch said he wasn't going to try to qualify. What a tool. Right after his LIV teammates G-Mac and Kokrak detailed where they're trying to get into the Opens, Gooch just said "I'm not."

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Those $135 golf shirts aren't going to sell themselves, yo.

Sun Day Red

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wasn't the pitch as much as the approach shot coming in too hot.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Note to marketing department of whatever the hell Bibigo is:

If you can afford to sponsor a TV broadcast, at least make more than one irritating commercial that plays multiple times per break.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Commenters lost their minds over the prices, but this ain't Nike trying to sell 5 million units of everything. If you're trying to build cachet for a brand, price it like it matters and keep stuff scarce. I don't care for the SDR stuff personally, but I respect the strategy.

Draft saved Draft deleted