1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by longjumper42, Nov 13, 2006.

1. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Cornell's pretty bad this year, flirting with .500 for the season. They had some major defections after last season, losing their top scorer to graduation, two off the blue line to go pro, and McKee, a Hobey finalist two years back in goal, who signed with the Ducks. A young team, been very inconsistent.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

How about the year they had top seed and lost to Merrimack? IIRC, it's the only time the Warriors have ever made it to the Garden.
    If the boys plan on making an NCAA run, though, they better spend less time admiring Curry's work - scoring has been a problem most of the season.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dartmouth sweeps Princeton, 3-2. Nice little benches-clearing donnybrook after the final whistle. Dartmouth's goalie takes a run at one of the taller Tigers. After a lot of humping and dancing, cooler heads prevailed.

There was a scary moment midway through. A Tiger put a serious body-check into J.T. Wyman, who flew into the dividing glass between the benches. Had he not been wearing a helmet he may have cut his head into two pieces. Wyman was OK, but it looked awful when it happened. No penalty called, either.

After a flurry of penalties, there was a 3-on-3, which I haven't seen in a while.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Am I reading right that UMass swept UMaine 3-2 and 5-2? Wow.

I thought the Black Bears were in for a good season after early wins at North Dakota and Wisconsin (or was that Minnesota, I forget) on their way to a No. 1 ranking. Now are they a bubble team for the tournament, if that?

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Meanwhile, BU needs bonus cantos to put away the Catamounts. Now, it's another game against Chestnut Hill College in the semis.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Good day for Wisconsin (we need some WCHA love), Badgers sweep Denver, lady Badgers pick up a 4OT win over Harvard. Don't think Madison will be the epicenter of college hockey again this year, but the women are still the team to beat. (Forgive me some Badger pride.)

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

how the hell did the Gophers lose at home to Anchorage. I mean, I watched he game, but Gopher don't lose at home in the playoffs.

8. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

Being held to just 5 shots in the third can do it.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Has there ever been a major college hockey recruiting scandal? I can't think of one. I think Maine may have been hit hard in the (RIP) Shawn Walsh era, but that's about it.

I'll lay off Q-pac, even though I still can't believe they're that successful in the ECAC. They should be Merrimackesque.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Paul Kariya didn't go to Maine because he liked the scenery. And I'd bet the same was true for Jim Montgomery, Cal (the fucking midget) Ingraham, Garth Snow or Mike Dunham.

11. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Not sure why you think they should be like Merrimack. They've got D1 resources across the board, and a new barn to play in on campus. Their AD has roots with the Denver program, and he's determined to make the school the Denver of the East. They are doing a lot of things right.... not that I like them all that much, either.

And I'm sure there's a lot of shady stuff going on behind the scenes at most of the major powers. Other than having a palatial building that puts many NHL arenas to shame, there's not much to draw people to Grand Forks, either.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You make a good point about being D-I across the board, whereas Merrimack is a D-II. Yet when I think of Quinnipiac, I think of a Connecticut version of Merrimack -- small yet decent school, but not exactly a scholarly Ivy power with lots of cash or boosters hanging on left and right to back a top-notch D-I athletics program. I'm guessing being the anti-UConn in the state does help, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted