1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by longjumper42, Nov 13, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The Gophers have struggled against UAA's goalie Lawson all year.

I didn't see the game, but I'd bet he was a big factor.

On to the Final Five in St. Paul, one of the truly great obscure sporting events in the world.

2. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Let's get this thing going again.

Who are going to be the number one seeds? ND's win the CCHA puts it in good position for one of them but its schedule in the second half of the season was pretty week.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

BC is your Hockey East champion, beating New Hampshire 5-2. They never looked in each game this week, too. Handled BU is the semis with ease.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Gophers defeat Sioux 3-2 in overtime in WCHA Final Five championship game

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Minnesota forward Blake Wheeler scored 3:25 into overtime on a diving one-handed shot to lift the Gophers to a 3-2 win over North Dakota in the championship game of the WCHA Final Five.

The win gives Minnesota the WCHA's automatic berth into the NCAA tournament. The full bracket will be announced Sunday at 1:30 p.m. Central time on ESPN2.

UND trailed 2-1 after two periods but tied it 1:54 into the third period on a power play goal by Ryan Duncan. It was Duncan's 30th goal of the season.

North Dakota fell to 22-13-5 on the season, while Minnesota raised its record to 30-9-3.

5. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Anyone know when the Selection Show is?

Here's to hoping my boys from St. Lawrence actually make the field this year. They won the ECAC regular season title but lost in the semis to wicked's favorite team Quinnipiac.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Hockey East tournament is usually an afterthought for BU. They usually work for Beanpots and NCAAs.

Not saying that's right nor am I trying to diminish BC's title, but that's the truth.

7. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

The best thing about college hockey is the seeds and selections are based on the results of the mathematical formula known as the Pairwise. Thus, all the teams in the tournament are set, and the seeds are pretty much set. The only thing that is up for debate is where teams will wind up, based on where the committee wants to send people to avoid conference matchups in the first round.

Top four seeds are (in order):
    Minnesota, Notre Dame, Clarkson, New Hampshire

Collegehockeynews.com has a pretty good guess as to where teams will wind up here: http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2007/03/17_bracket.php

Regional sites are Denver, Manchester (NH), Grand Rapids, Rochester (NY)

Breakdown by conference is:
    Hockey East (5): Boston U., UMass, New Hampshire, Maine, BC
    CCHA (4): Michigan, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Miami
    WCHA (3): Minnesota, North Dakota, St. Cloud State
    ECAC (2): Clarkson, St. Lawrence
    Atlantic Hockey (1): Air Force (first ever bid, first service academy)
    CHA (1): Alabama-Huntsville (first ever bid)

Frankly, if you ask me, WCHA gets hosed in this with only three teams...

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

My cable listings show 2:30-3 ET on ESPN2.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

A team in Colorado is in Atlantic Hockey...nice.

10. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Sure, why not? I think they interpret the Atlantic part as meaning on this side of the pond....

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Blake Wheeler's goal to win the WCHA crown simply has to be seen to be believed.

Diving on his stomach from the blocker-side faceoff dot, he one-hand chipped the puck over the North Dakota goalie's glove hand and into the net for the win.

I'll head to youtube and see it it's there...

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted