1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by longjumper42, Nov 13, 2006.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Putting the Gophers and Sioux in the same bracket eliminates one WCHA team that might otherwise make the Frozen Four. Politics as usual. That shouldn't happen; with three lWCHA teams and four brackets to spread them between, no need to double up.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And considering the WCHA's complete postseason dominance the last few years, it's obviously an attempt to keep the maximum number of WCHA teams in the frozen four to 2.

I mean, how can you be the top overall seed and draw one of the hottest teams in the tournament in the second round?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Hasn't Air Force always struggled as a Division I program, especially when it was independent?

I thought Alabama-Huntsville had some decent history behind it, possibly another NCAA tournament appearance years ago.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It seems to me that when Huntsville was good, recordwise, it couldnt crack the Four-conference hold on the tourney....

5. arwen22266

arwen22266 New Member

With how unevenly they played against LSSU in Saturday's CCHA third-place game, I was surprised that Michigan State got a 3 seed in Grand Rapids (and yes, I am an MSU fan). Forgive me for not being completely up on things, but how is BU this year? Thanks.

6. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Seems like a lot of you aren't familliar with the NCAA selection process for hockey. It goes STRICTLY by the Pairwise Rankings, and nothing else. There's no conspiracy to keep out WCHA dominance in the Frozen Four.

Jayson Moy on USCHO predicted the bracket nearly perfectly, aside from Maine and UMass being transposed.

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,14107/BracketologyFinal.html

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Walter --

I'm quite familiar with the Pairwise. Doesn't mean it's a perfect system. For example, didn't they drop the L10 component just a few years ago?

Such a component this year would have SURELY seeded North Dakota higher.

8. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Doesn't the NCAA also take into account distance from sites and conference affiliations when making its pairings? So while the Pairwise system cranks out who the 1, 2, 3, and 4s are, the NCAA can adjust where those teams go as needed for attendance reason and to keep conference foes from meeting in the first round?

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ok, so what's the update on the tournament. How many teams left? Where's the final?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

JR --

Conference tournaments just finished, and national field was announced on Sunday.

16 teams make the tournament, sent to four regions and seeded 1-4 at those places.

They'll play the regionals out until they're down to four teams, take a week off for the hoopy tournament and then reconvene in (I think) St. Louis) for the Frozen Four.Here are regional pairings...

Denver
    1 Minnesota vs. 4 Air Force
    2 Michigan vs. 3 North Dakota

Grand Rapids
    1 Notre Dame vs. 4 Alabama-Huntsville
    2 Boston University vs. 3 Michigan State

Rochester
    1 Clarkson vs. 4 Massachusetts
    2 St. Cloud vs. 3 Maine

Manchester
    1 New Hampshire vs. 4 Miami
    2 Boston College vs. 3 St. Lawrence

Minnesota is the top seed overall, but, as has been discussed, drew a tough region. Notre Dame is next, and should win that region easily. Rochester is a clusterfuck. I'll take St. Cloud -- if they can beat Maine.

New Hampshire is easily the weakest top seed, and drew the hottest #2 seed in Boston College.

My Frozen Four picks:

Minnesota
    Notre Dame
    Maine
    Boston College

After that, all bets are off...

11. Gillette237

Gillette237 Member

Maine should buy the creator of the PairWise a dozen roses. The Black Bears are 2-6 in their last eight games, have just two wins against the other four Hockey East teams in the field, and have are coming off of four consecutive losses to UMass. I can't think of another team that's limped into the tournament like this.

Maine got in because of early season wins at Minnesota and North Dakota. Now that it looks like the Black Bears have Ben Bishop back, they could actually make a run. If the good Bishop shows up, not the turnover-prone Bishop that allows soft goals.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sparty isn't vintage Sparty, but they are tough to beat so close to home...

Draft saved Draft deleted