1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by longjumper42, Nov 13, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

After one period of Umass -- Clarkson, I feel comfortable in saying the following: The St. Cloud -- Maine winner can punch a ticket for St. Louis.

2. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I don't if Minnesota can beat North Dakota two in row. Right now I'd say the don't.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Mix --

Oh, I agree. That'll be a hell of a game. Those two teams are playing great hockey right now, and the FF finale was just a hell of a hockey game.

Shitty, shitty draw for the Gophers -- and for the Sioux, frankly. I'd pick them to win any of the other regions.

4. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

The more I look at the Wheeler goal the more I think the goalie should've had it. Outstanding play by Wheeler, no doubt, but the goalie didn't have the proper angle and he went down way too soon. Am I off on this? Maybe I'm being too critical of the goalie.

5. Gillette237

Gillette237 Member

Maine may have Ben Bishop back in net, but the Black Bears will play without Keenan Hopson (7 goals, 15 assists), who had his appendix removed Tuesday.

Hopson plays the point on Maine's power play.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Once again, I am completely underwhelmed by the ECAC champ. Clarkson had no offensive talent at all.

Once again, Maine is a stellar tournament team, and has St. Cloud -- who is once again shitting the bed in the NCAA's -- on the ropes, 3-1.

Oh, and once again, the CHA champ has a big dog in trouble. Alabama-Huntsville and Notre Dame appear headed for overtime.

All told, is the CHA a better league than the ECAC?

7. Gillette237

Gillette237 Member

Zeke,

The CHA is still weak, but I think the top teams compare well with the top of the ECAC, which is no great shakes. I'd have to look it up, but I don't think an ECAC team has played for a national championship since the late '80s. Back then Hockey East was still coming into its own and Harvard, RPI and St. Lawrence were still hockey powers.

If Maine doesn't fall apart in the third period, it should be a great game tomorrow against UMass. Just on tourney experience, I think the Black Bears take that game and head to St. Louis.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Maine will hold on.

St. Cloud is likely the better team, but they are the all-time NCAA choking dogs.

This loss will send them to 0-6 all time in the NCAA's.

9. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I have no idea what to expect out of Maine-UMass, because although Maine has all that tourney experience and yadda yadda yadda, the Minutemen have beaten the Black Bears four times in the last three weeks. And all four games were meaningful, either for home ice or in the HE quarters.

10. Gillette237

Gillette237 Member

Just having Bishop (and yes, that goal he allowed in the first period was soft soft soft) in net tonight seems to have lifted Maine a little.

Of course, Jon Quick is playing some great goal for UMass.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Notre Dame had to go to double OT to beat Huntsville...
    I see BU coming out of Grand Rapids....

12. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

UMaine-UMass ... it's turning into Groundhog Day for those two teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted